Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The 5 States That Banned Evolution In Classrooms.

1. Mar 7, 2004 #1
    BELOW ARE THE FIVE STATES THAT HAVE BANNED EVOLUTION FROM THE CLASSROOM, IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS.

“Currently five states _ Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Mississippi and Oklahoma _ have no references to evolution in their state school curriculums, according to the National Center for Science Education.”

http://wsbradio.com/common/ap/2004/01/30/D80DC4GO0.html

http://www.natcenscied.org/
    -----------------------------

THREE MORE States are currently preparing there court cases to do the
    same thing!

It is expected that these States will win their cases as well, as the ACLU seems to be focused on having a single way to say The Pledge. (A
    topic that was put to bed some 40 years ago, with 2 accepted ways to say The Pledge).

I wonder if GWB's Education Plan should be called:
    "All Children Left 2,000 Years Behind!"

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2004 #2
    Should there be a separate forum for political/personal agendas? I don't think the metaphysics/epistemology forum is the proper place.

4. Mar 7, 2004 #3

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

yes, i think this borderlines politics...

have fun with this one zero :)

5. Mar 7, 2004 #4
    ridiculous. All major theories should be discussed, including creationism (if you think creationism is the bible's words at face value, don't waste your time responding to this). Our country is supposed to bring ALL ideas, not NO ideas.

6. Mar 7, 2004 #5

FZ+

Yes, ideally, all ideas should be discussed, but not all ideas are equal, nor do we have time to discuss all ideas. Shall we talk of the fairy hypothesis? Or the Santa Claus conjecture? The paradox of the leprecauns?

Creationism is not a theory. It is somewhat ironic that one of their attacks is that "evolution is just a theory".

What do you think creationism is?

7. Mar 7, 2004 #6
    Much of this seems like a scheme to avoid trouble by eliminating the 'e' word, while teaching the same thing under different names. The Georgia state superintendant of schools has proposed exactly that- teach biology, etc. just like before, just call e******** by some other name. That way they can tell christian conservative parents that e******** is not in the curriculum. Ha!

Another tactical scheme is to preface textbooks and other materials with a stickered disclaimer that discussions of the origin and development of life and the universe has the status of theory. That isn't exactly wrong. It is just that these particular subjects are singled out for this distinction. Other subjects do not require this qualification.

8. Mar 7, 2004 #7
    The problem is, there is no "theory of creationism", in the scientific sense. Therefore, it has no place in a science class...if there is a comparative religion class, they can discuss it there.

9. Mar 7, 2004 #8
    Sometimes I hate you so much...

10. Mar 7, 2004 #9

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

simmer down, i am sure there will be one of these threads you get to transfer to me sometime...

as far as the topic at hand, i can sort of understand why evolution was banned...i don't think it was for the fact of what they want to teach, but more that they don't want to interfere what (religious) parents desire their children to know...

this actually brings a good idea for a topic in the political forum...hmmm

11. Mar 7, 2004 #10
    I don't know what you are thinking, but DON'T!!

12. Mar 7, 2004 #11

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yah, seperation of church and state is supposed to work both ways. :smile:

13. Mar 7, 2004 #12

Janitor

Science Advisor

Not to go off on a tangent, but--

Has anybody here read the collections of essays by Stephen Jay Gould which are published in book form? Any thoughts on Gould's point of view about education, politics, etc? I haven't read any of his stuff in the last few years, but I remember him as being able to deliver some withering attacks on the idea that Creationism ought to be taught alongside evolution in public schools.

14. Mar 7, 2004 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That brings up the question...Should the curriculum in public schools be dictated by religion? Because that is what is happening.

If a parent's religion disagrees with something on the curriculum, this is where they have the right to teach *their* children *their* beliefs. They can tell their children that evolution is a theory they do not believe in and the reasons why. Banning evolution for everyone just so these few don't have to explain to their children why they don't believe in it is the wrong thing to do.

15. Mar 7, 2004 #14

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to think so to, but seperation of church and state doesn't just mean that we should keep "silly" religous ideas out of the government, it also means that the government should refrain from affirming or undermining religous beliefs.

Trying to look at it objectively, I can't see any compelling reason to override the seperation of church and state rule here. Given all the other science that could be taught instead, it seems that arguments in favor of keeping evolution in schools are more or less based on the idea of science being "superior" to religion in some manner.

And I don't mean just the arguments that go like "We need evolution in our schools to dispel those silly religous ideas kids get from their parents"; I also mean the arguments that are along the lines of "This is science, it shouldn't have to tiptoe around anything! A few religous nuts shouldn't keep us from teaching any science we want".

16. Mar 7, 2004 #15
    Well, it isn't the government's job to support religion...if it can't prop itself up, too bad. Evolution is good science, and popular opinion and fundamentalism can't change that. Shall we also teach that women are subordinate to men, because otherwise certain religions will be undermined?

17. Mar 7, 2004 #16

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When replacing evolution with some other topic causes women to be enslaved, you might have an argument.

18. Mar 7, 2004 #17

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Have you looked into Levitcus?

19. Mar 7, 2004 #18

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Human sacrifice? Cannibalism? Don't think so --- the qualification, " ... so long as the religion, its tenets, and practice are not prejudicial to public order, blah -blah -blah ...," ain't included specifically in The Constitution, but don't count on that oversight (deliberate, or accidental) as a legal shelter for nonsense.

20. Mar 7, 2004 #19

so, should history also not be taught in schools, since it also undermines the bible?

i mean, maybe we should just get rid of school altogether, since learning to ask questions and think for yourself undermines the acceptance unseen deities on faith.

if we refuse to teach anything that undermines or affirms religion in schools, then how do we decide which religion not to undermine, or can we simply not undermine any religion, past or present, ever?

i imagine that if you cannot say anything that could undermine any religion that ever existed, there would be very few things that you actually could say

21. Mar 7, 2004 #20

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And we're not talking about catering to religion at the expense of public order. (At least I'm not; you, Zero and Lethe seem to be)

I've never heard that one before; how's it work?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?