The acceleration may be related to the distance travelled?

In summary: And if velocity is changing, what does that formula tell you?If you change the velocity, then the distance travelled will also change. acceleration is related to the change in velocity.The relationship between acceleration and distance can be found by substituting in the equation for velocity and solving for distance.If velocity is constant, what does that formula tell you?The equation for velocity is v = st and the equation for acceleration is a = v^2/t. If velocity is constant, then the equation for acceleration is just a = v. So the answer to the question is that if velocity is constant, then a = v.How can I show how the acceleration may be related to the distance travelled?
Gizmo91
How can I show how the acceleration may be related to the distance travelled?

EDIT: thread does not use the template because it was moved from the technical forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you start by showing how velocity is related to distance travelled?

jbriggs444 said:
Can you start by showing how velocity is related to distance travelled?
yes, it doesn't matter how it's explained, I just need to understand how I can show that acceleration is related to the distance travelled, I don't get it:headbang:

Before we can help you we need to know what it is you do not understand. Let's get started on that. Please explain to us how velocity is related to distance travelled.

jbriggs444 said:
Before we can help you we need to know what it is you do not understand. Let's get started on that. Please explain to us how velocity is related to distance travelled.

s = (vi + vf) t / 2
distance equals the initial velocity plus the final velocity multipled by time divided by two.
If there is velocity there has to be some distance which is travelled

So if velocity is constant, what does that formula tell you?
And if velocity is changing, what does that formula tell you?
How does a change in velocity relate to acceleration?

Zobia Gehlan said:
How can I show how the acceleration may be related to the distance travelled?
Sounds like you are trying to solve a problem where you are given the distance traveled and need to calculate the acceleration? What other information are you given?

If you can specify the exact situation you have in mind, folks can help you better.

Doc Al said:
Sounds like you are trying to solve a problem where you are given the distance traveled and need to calculate the acceleration? What other information are you given?

If you can specify the exact situation you have in mind, folks can help you better.

I have been given the following questions:

1. 1.1 Write down the mathematical expression used to determine linear velocity, briefly explaining each term in the equation, including the units.
      1.2 Write down the mathematical expression used to determine linear acceleration, briefly explaining each term in the equation, including the units
      1.2.1 Show how the acceleration may be related to the distance travelled. You may use a book as a reference.

I have completed 1.1 and 1.2 but I don't understand 1.2.1, I have no clue what to write or what the question is even asking at this point

Is there any more context to these questions? Perhaps show us your answers for the first two questions.

It's not too hard to think of a situation where acceleration is related to distance.

Sounds like bit of cheating to me ..This is one of the assignments we are doing :L

That is one of the reasons that we do not post full solutions. We try to guide and teach so that people can come to the answers on their own, not provide those answers directly.

Gizmo91 said:
s = (vi + vf) t / 2
distance equals the initial velocity plus the final velocity multipled by time divided by two.
If there is velocity there has to be some distance which is travelled
This is great. You have the relationship between distance and velocity. Do you also have something which gives the relationship between acceleration and velocity? If so, then you should be able to do some substitution and find the relationship between acceleration and distance.

Related to The acceleration may be related to the distance travelled?

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's speed is changing.

How is acceleration related to distance travelled?

The relationship between acceleration and distance travelled is determined by the initial velocity, final velocity, and time. The formula for calculating distance travelled in terms of acceleration is d = 1/2 * a * t^2.

What factors affect the acceleration of an object?

The main factors that affect acceleration are the force applied to the object and its mass. The greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration will be. Conversely, the greater the mass, the lower the acceleration will be.

Can an object have a constant acceleration and still travel different distances?

Yes, an object can have a constant acceleration and still travel different distances. This is because the acceleration is affected by other factors such as initial velocity and time, which can vary and result in different distances travelled.

How can we measure acceleration?

Acceleration can be measured using a variety of tools such as accelerometers, speedometers, and motion sensors. These devices can measure an object's change in velocity over time, which can then be used to calculate acceleration.