1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The acceleration may be related to the distance travelled?

1. Apr 23, 2015 #1
    How can I show how the acceleration may be related to the distance travelled?

EDIT: thread does not use the template because it was moved from the technical forums.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2015 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Can you start by showing how velocity is related to distance travelled?

4. Apr 23, 2015 #3
    yes, it doesn't matter how it's explained, I just need to understand how I can show that acceleration is related to the distance travelled, I don't get it:headbang:

5. Apr 23, 2015 #4

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Before we can help you we need to know what it is you do not understand. Let's get started on that. Please explain to us how velocity is related to distance travelled.

6. Apr 23, 2015 #5
    s = (vi + vf) t / 2
    distance equals the initial velocity plus the final velocity multipled by time divided by two.
    If there is velocity there has to be some distance which is travelled

7. Apr 23, 2015 #6

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

So if velocity is constant, what does that formula tell you?
    And if velocity is changing, what does that formula tell you?
    How does a change in velocity relate to acceleration?

8. Apr 23, 2015 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like you are trying to solve a problem where you are given the distance traveled and need to calculate the acceleration? What other information are you given?

If you can specify the exact situation you have in mind, folks can help you better.

9. Apr 23, 2015 #8
    I have been given the following questions:

1. 1.1 Write down the mathematical expression used to determine linear velocity, briefly explaining each term in the equation, including the units.
        1.2 Write down the mathematical expression used to determine linear acceleration, briefly explaining each term in the equation, including the units
        1.2.1 Show how the acceleration may be related to the distance travelled. You may use a book as a reference.

I have completed 1.1 and 1.2 but I don't understand 1.2.1, I have no clue what to write or what the question is even asking at this point

10. Apr 23, 2015 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is there any more context to these questions? Perhaps show us your answers for the first two questions.

It's not too hard to think of a situation where acceleration is related to distance.

11. Apr 26, 2015 #10
    Sounds like bit of cheating to me ..This is one of the assignments we are doing :L

12. Apr 26, 2015 #11

Dale

That is one of the reasons that we do not post full solutions. We try to guide and teach so that people can come to the answers on their own, not provide those answers directly.

13. Apr 26, 2015 #12

Dale

This is great. You have the relationship between distance and velocity. Do you also have something which gives the relationship between acceleration and velocity? If so, then you should be able to do some substitution and find the relationship between acceleration and distance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted