The acceleration of a particle on a horizontal xy plane

In summary, the acceleration of a particle on a horizontal xy plane is given by a=3ti + 4tj, where a is in meters per second-squared and t is in sec. At t=0, the particle has the position vector r=(20.0m)i + (40.0m)j and the velocity vector v=(5.00m/s)i +(2.00m/s)j. To find its position vector at t=4.00s, integrate the acceleration to find velocity and integrate velocity to find position, using the initial conditions. To find the angle between its direction of travel and the positive direction of the x axis, use the dot product.
kara
The acceleration of a particle on a horizontal xy plane is given by a=3ti + 4tj, where a is in meters per second-squared and t is in sec. At t=0, the particle has the position vector r=(20.0m)i + (40.0m)j and the velocity vector
v=(5.00m/s)i +(2.00m/s)j. At t=4.00 s, what are its position vector in unit-vector notation and the angle between its direction of travel and the positive direction of the x axis?

I have no idea what to do at all https://www.physicsforums.com/images/smilies/surprised.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Find the general equations for position and velocity by integration and use the initial conditions.

"the angle between its direction of travel and the positive direction of the x axis"

For that you can apply the dot product.

so would i integrate a to find position and then velocity?

You integrate acceleration to find velovity, and then integrate velocity (after plugging in the initial condition) to find position.

alright so i got:

dx = 1.5t^2 + vcos0t + 20
dy = 2t^2 + vsin0t + 40

where the 0 is theta

kara said:
alright so i got:

dx = 1.5t^2 + vcos0t + 20
dy = 2t^2 + vsin0t + 40

where the 0 is theta
Bringing in new variables (such as theta) without any need will just make the answer more complicated.

Here's an example on how to go about the problem:

[tex]\frac{dv_x}{dt} = 3t[/tex]

[tex]v_x = \frac{3}{2}t^2 + C[/tex] (C is the constant of integration)

Now put in the initial condition, the value for v_x when t = 0 and find the value for C. Similaraly find v_y. The process is the same for finding position.

Last edited:
You can be a bit more formal and use [tex]\vec{v}(t) = \int \vec{a}(t)dt + \vec{v}_{0}[/tex], i.e. [tex]\vec{r}(t) = \int \vec{v}(t)dt + \vec{r}_{0}[/tex], but basically that's the same thing Neutrino wrote.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It can be described as the increase or decrease in an object's speed or direction of motion.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is the change in time.

What factors affect the acceleration of a particle on a horizontal xy plane?

The acceleration of a particle on a horizontal xy plane is affected by the net force acting on the particle, the mass of the particle, and the coefficient of friction between the particle and the surface it is moving on.

How does acceleration differ from velocity?

Velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion, while acceleration is the change in velocity over time. Essentially, velocity shows how fast and in what direction an object is moving, while acceleration shows how the velocity is changing.

Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This means that the velocity of the object is decreasing over time, either because it is slowing down or changing direction. Negative acceleration is also known as deceleration or retardation.