The circle can be parametrized

• Thread starter helix999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, for the first conversation, the value of b that satisfies the given conditions is 10/e. For the second conversation, the value of h'(1) is 3e^2-e. For the third conversation, the value of the line integral is 0. For the fourth conversation, the value of the integral is 1. For the fifth conversation, there are 2 values of x where the graph of f has a horizontal tangent line.
helix999
For what value of b is the line y=10x tangent to the curve y=e^bx at some point in the xy-plane?
Ans: 10/e

Here are some more:
Let h be the function defined by h(x)=Integration of e^(x+t) dt (limit 0 to x^2) for all real numbers. Then h'(1)=

My ans. is coming as 2e^2-e but the correct answer available to me is 3e^2-e. Can any1 explain me how is that possible?

let c be the circle x^2+y^2=1 oriented counterclockwise in the xy plane. What is the value of the line integral (2x-y)dx+(x+3y)dy?

If {x} denotes the greatest integer not exceeding x, then what is the value of the integral of {x}e^-x dx (limit 0 to infinity)?

if f is the function defined by f(x)= xe^((-x^2)-(x^-2)) [for x is not equal to 0] and
0 [for x=0]
at how many values of x does the graph of f have a horizontal tangent line?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. At the point of tangency (x0, 10*x0), you know that:
  • the coordinates have to satisfy y = e^(bx), and
  • the slope of the line has to equal the slope of the tangent line on y = e^(bx).
For the first, we must have 10*x0 = e^(b*x0).
For the second, since dy/dx = be^(bx), we must have 10 = be^(b*x0), or 10/b = e^(b*x0).

Both of these equations have e^(b*x0) on one side, so it must be that 10*x0 = 10/b, or b = 1/x0.

Substituting this value of b into the function equation, e^(b*x0) = 10*x0, we see that
e^1 = 10*x0, so x0 = e/10.
Finally, since b = 1/x0, we find that b = 10/e.

2. There might be a way that you can do this using the Fund. Thm. of Calculus, but brute force seems to be quicker and might be easier to understand.
You have h(x) = int(e^(x + t) dt), from t = 0 to x^2.
So h(x) = e^x(e^(x^2) -1), carrying out the integration.
h'(x) = e^x(2xe^(x^2)) + e^x(e^(x^2) - 1)) = e^x(2xe^(x^2) + e^(x^2)) - 1)
h'(1) = e(2e + e - 1) = 3e^2 - e

Thnx for the solutions!

For #3, the line integral problem, I think this is an approach (caveat: I am away from my references and it's been many years since I looked at line integrals). The circle can be parametrized as x = cos t, y = sin t, 0 <= t <= 2*pi.

Replace x, y, dx, and dy in the integrand as above and integrate from t = 0 to t = 2pi.

For #4, you'll need to break the integral up into a bunch of integrals, with limits of integration 0 to 1, 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and so on up to n - 1 to n. You'll eventually need to take the limit of this sum as n approaches infinity. The first integrand will be 0*e^(-x), the second will be 1* e^(-x), the third will be 2*e^(-x), and the last I showed above will be (n - 1)*e^(-x). Let S1 be the first integral, S2 the sum of the first two integrals, S3 the sum of the first three of them, and Sn the sum of the first n integrals. Take the limit of Sn as n gets large.

1. What does it mean for a circle to be parametrized?

A parametrized circle is a way of representing the points on a circle using a set of equations or parameters. This allows us to describe the circle in a more general way, rather than just using the standard equation (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2.

2. How is a circle parametrized?

A circle can be parametrized using trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, as well as using the Pythagorean theorem. This allows us to express the x and y coordinates of a point on the circle in terms of a parameter, such as the angle theta.

3. What are the benefits of parametrizing a circle?

Parametrizing a circle allows us to easily describe and manipulate the points on the circle using mathematical equations. This can be useful in various applications, such as computer graphics, physics, and engineering.

4. Are there different ways to parametrize a circle?

Yes, there are multiple ways to parametrize a circle. One common way is using the standard equation (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2, but other methods involve using trigonometric functions, polar coordinates, or even complex numbers.

5. Can other shapes be parametrized?

Yes, other shapes can also be parametrized using mathematical equations or parameters. This allows us to represent and manipulate various geometric shapes in a more general and versatile manner.