The Optimization of a Spherical Dome Tent

• Thread starter Elainabeee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Creation
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving optimizing the dimensions of a tent in the shape of a spherical cap to minimize the cost of materials while maintaining a volume of 2.2m3. The floor of the tent is made of cheaper material than the dome, which is 1.4 times more expensive. The participants discussed using the volume equation and surface area equation to solve for the dimensions, but it was determined that using the method of Lagrange Multipliers would be more appropriate.
Elainabeee
If anyone can help me solve this optimization problem it would be much appreciated!

Imagine making a tent in the shape of a spherical cap (a sphere with a lower portion sliced away by a plane). Assume we want the volume to be 2.2m3. The floor of the tent is cheaper material than the rest: assume that the material making up the dome of the tent is 1.4 times as expensive per square meter than the material touching the ground.
a) What should the dimensions of the tent be so that the cost of the material used is a minimum?
b) What is the total area of the material used?

!

Homework Equations

So far I have that the volume is 1/6pi*h (3a2+h2) with a being the radius of the base and h being the height. I also have surface area = 2*pi*r*h + pi(2rh-h2).

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that you have to set the volume equation equal to 2.2 and solve for the dimensions. So I got
0= 1.6pi*h(3a^2+h^2) - 2.2
However, how would you solve having two variables? I can't figure out how to substitute into another equation to get just a or h in the volume equation.
Thank you so much for any help; if anyone can walk me through the steps I'd be so grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Elainabeee said:
If anyone can help me solve this optimization problem it would be much appreciated!

Imagine making a tent in the shape of a spherical cap (a sphere with a lower portion sliced away by a plane). Assume we want the volume to be 2.2m3. The floor of the tent is cheaper material than the rest: assume that the material making up the dome of the tent is 1.4 times as expensive per square meter than the material touching the ground.
a) What should the dimensions of the tent be so that the cost of the material used is a minimum?
b) What is the total area of the material used?

!

Homework Equations

So far I have that the volume is 1/6pi*h (3a2+h2) with a being the radius of the base and h being the height. I also have surface area = 2*pi*r*h + pi(2rh-h2).

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that you have to set the volume equation equal to 2.2 and solve for the dimensions. So I got
0= 1.6pi*h(3a^2+h^2) - 2.2
However, how would you solve having two variables? I can't figure out how to substitute into another equation to get just a or h in the volume equation.
Thank you so much for any help; if anyone can walk me through the steps I'd be so grateful!

When you write h2, do you mean ##h^2##? If so, write it like this: h^2.

You have a constraint on (h,a) due to volume, and you must minimize the cost of materials, which will also be a function of the two variables h and a. Your expression for surface area does not account for the different costs per m^3 for the bottom and the top of the tent.

Ray Vickson said:
When you write h2, do you mean ##h^2##? If so, write it like this: h^2.

You have a constraint on (h,a) due to volume, and you must minimize the cost of materials, which will also be a function of the two variables h and a. Your expression for surface area does not account for the different costs per m^3 for the bottom and the top of the tent.

I meant h^2, sorry that was a typo! So if I want to minimize cost of materials, how can I solve for one of the variables, either h or a, in order to solve for the other? Or how can I eliminate one to later solve for the other?

Likes Ray Vickson
Please give it a try yourself first, before asking for more help. Yes, I know, it is a struggle, but that is how you learn!

Ray Vickson said:
Please give it a try yourself first, before asking for more help. Yes, I know, it is a struggle, but that is how you learn!

What I came up with when I tried is 2.2/1.6pi = h(3a^2+h^2)
from there, I can't get a variable alone

Elainabeee said:
What I came up with when I tried is 2.2/1.6pi = h(3a^2+h^2)
from there, I can't get a variable alone

This equation is true if 1/6 = 1.6; otherwise, it is false. So, do you think it is true, or not?

1. How does a dome tent provide stability?

A dome tent provides stability through its unique design which distributes weight evenly across the structure. The curved poles create a strong framework, and the sloped sides help to distribute wind and rain, making it more stable in harsh weather conditions.

2. What materials are typically used in the creation of a dome tent?

The most commonly used materials in the creation of a dome tent are lightweight, durable fabrics such as polyester, nylon, or canvas. The poles are usually made of aluminum or fiberglass, which are both strong and lightweight.

3. How long does it take to set up a dome tent?

The time it takes to set up a dome tent depends on the size and complexity of the tent, as well as the experience of the person setting it up. Generally, it can take anywhere from 5-20 minutes to set up a dome tent.

4. Are dome tents suitable for all types of camping?

Dome tents are suitable for a variety of camping situations, including backpacking, car camping, and even mountaineering. However, their design makes them more suitable for mild to moderate weather conditions rather than extreme weather.

5. How can I maintain and prolong the lifespan of my dome tent?

To maintain and prolong the lifespan of your dome tent, it is important to properly store and care for it. Make sure to clean and dry the tent before storing it, avoid setting it up on rough or rocky terrain, and regularly check for any tears or damage that may need to be repaired.