The Dependent Variable in an Experiment

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of dependent and independent variables in an experiment. The independent variable is the part that is changed by the person conducting the experiment and the dependent variable is affected by the independent variable. There was confusion about the spelling of dependent and independent, but it was eventually resolved that both words contain an E.
tyroto411
The ? variable is the part of the experiment that is affected by the independant variable.

THANKS

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you are referring to dependent variables, they 'depend' on the independent variables for their values.

I have tried dependant but it does not fit. The second letter is A and the seventh letter is E.

how many letters total?

there are 9 total letters.

:cry: PLEASE HELP!

are you sure the 'a' is right, i can't think of anything else right now

The A comes from the question,,,, The ? variable is the part of the experiment that is being tested or the part that is changed by the person doing the experiment. Therefore I put Independant causing the A so I hope that is right.

Nope that is 10 letters. Is the independant answer right?

well i 'explanatory' is 11, but I'd say independent is right, but that's not working with dependent (not that explanatory would) and I can't think of a different word than dependent.

EDIT: I had meant using explanatory instead of independent in my previous post

I will just put dependant the old hag prolly spelt it wrong anyway.

ah! I see it, its 'dependent' and 'independent' both with an E, that will fix the problem.

Related to The Dependent Variable in an Experiment

1. What is the dependent variable in an experiment?

The dependent variable in an experiment is the factor that is being measured or observed in response to changes in the independent variable. It is also known as the outcome variable.

2. How is the dependent variable chosen in an experiment?

The dependent variable is chosen based on the research question or hypothesis that the experiment is trying to answer. It should be a measurable and specific factor that is expected to change in response to the independent variable.

3. Can there be more than one dependent variable in an experiment?

Yes, there can be more than one dependent variable in an experiment. This is often the case in complex experiments where multiple factors are being tested.

4. How is the dependent variable controlled in an experiment?

The dependent variable is controlled by keeping all other factors in the experiment constant except for the independent variable. This ensures that any changes in the dependent variable can be attributed to the independent variable.

5. What is the importance of the dependent variable in an experiment?

The dependent variable is important because it is the factor that is being measured to determine the effect of the independent variable. It is used to draw conclusions and make inferences about the relationship between the independent and dependent variables.