The fundmental thereom of line integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a line integral being independent of path and how to evaluate it on a given interval. The participants suggest finding a potential function or showing that the curl is zero to solve the problem. There is also a discussion about different answers obtained by integrating on different intervals and the possibility of using the wrong limits.
nameVoid
show that the line integral is indpendant of path and evaluate the integral on interval (0,1),(1,2)
int c 1-ye^{-x}dx+e^{-x}dy

can somone show me the procedure here looks like they just integrated 1-ye^(-x) on x to get 2/e I get a diffrent answer if I integrate e^(-x) on y same interval do I just find a potential function f with F = 1-ye^-x,e^-x

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi nameVoid! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
nameVoid said:
show that the line integral is indpendant of path

do I just find a potential function f with F = 1-ye^-x,e^-x

yes, you can either do that (there's a fairly obvious f :wink:),

or you can show that the curl is zero
and evaluate the integral on interval (0,1),(1,2)
int c 1-ye^{-x}dx+e^{-x}dy

can somone show me the procedure here looks like they just integrated 1-ye^(-x) on x to get 2/e I get a diffrent answer if I integrate e^(-x) on y same interval

if you get different answers, you've probably used the wrong limits …

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong! :smile:

1. What is the fundamental theorem of line integrals?

The fundamental theorem of line integrals is a theorem in mathematics that states the relationship between the line integral of a vector field and the scalar field that it is derived from. It can also be seen as a generalization of the fundamental theorem of calculus.

2. How does the fundamental theorem of line integrals relate to Green's theorem?

The fundamental theorem of line integrals is closely related to Green's theorem, which is a special case of the fundamental theorem. Green's theorem is used to calculate line integrals in the x-y plane, while the fundamental theorem applies to more general surfaces.

3. What are some practical applications of the fundamental theorem of line integrals?

The fundamental theorem of line integrals has many practical applications in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate work done by a force along a curved path, calculate electric potential, and calculate fluid flow in a pipe, among others.

4. Are there any limitations to the fundamental theorem of line integrals?

Like any mathematical theorem, the fundamental theorem of line integrals has its limitations. It only applies to conservative vector fields, where the line integral does not depend on the path taken. It also assumes that the surface is smooth and continuous.

5. How is the fundamental theorem of line integrals proven?

The fundamental theorem of line integrals can be proven using techniques from multivariable calculus, such as the chain rule and the fundamental theorem of calculus. It can also be derived from Green's theorem and the divergence theorem.