How Do You Calculate the Magnitude of a Vector in the Form Constant * (i + j)?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the distance between points M and O using the Pythagorean theorem. The person is seeking help in understanding their incorrect answer and how to correctly find the magnitude of the vector. They also discuss using absolute value in the calculations.
adhiluhur

Homework Statement

2uicc2f.jpg

Homework Equations

jt3x4l.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

347xvnn.jpg

But as you can see, when I typed the answer on the answer column, the computer marked it as wrong. Please point out my mistake in 24 hours. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the distance between M and O?

lewando said:
What is the distance between M and O?

By simple Pythagorean theorem you can work it out to l^2 sqrt{2}

adhiluhur said:
By simple Pythagorean theorem you can work it out to l^2 sqrt{2}
I get something different. Since the clock is ticking, how about
[tex]l \sqrt{2}[/tex]

lewando said:
I get something different. Since the clock is ticking, how about
[tex]l \sqrt{2}[/tex]

I was writing the distance squared. So basically our answer for that is same.

Ahh.. nevermind me, I thought I saw it... standby please.

lewando said:
Ahh.. nevermind me, I thought I saw it... standby please.

I think my answer is correct and the computer is wrong.

How about your last step? The answer you gave was the common coefficient of i and j. But to get the magnitude should you not take the root of sum of the squares of these coefficients?

Last edited:
Use more sets of parentheses at the beginning.

lewando said:
How about your last step? The answer you gave was the common coefficient of i and j. But to get the magnitude should you not take the root of sum of the squares of these coefficients?

Enlighten me.

adhiluhur said:
Enlighten me.
What is the magnitude of the vector [itex]\boldsymbol{x} = \boldsymbol{i}+\boldsymbol{j} = [1,1]^\text{T}[/itex]?

When something is in the form Constant * ( i + j ) and you would like to find the magnitude of that

use abs ( Constant * ( i+j) ) = Abs(Constant ) * Abs(i+j)

what is Abs ( i + j ) ?

How would you interpret it ?

1. What is the definition of the gravitational field?

The gravitational field is a physical field that describes the force of gravity acting on objects with mass. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and it is responsible for the attraction between objects with mass.

2. How is the gravitational field measured?

The gravitational field is typically measured in units of force per unit mass, such as newtons per kilogram. It can also be measured using a tool called a gravimeter, which detects changes in the gravitational field strength as it moves through different areas.

3. What factors affect the strength of the gravitational field?

The strength of the gravitational field is affected by the mass of the objects involved and the distance between them. The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational field will be. Similarly, the closer two objects are to each other, the stronger their gravitational field will be.

4. How does the gravitational field influence the motion of objects?

The gravitational field causes objects to accelerate towards each other. The acceleration of an object due to gravity is directly proportional to the strength of the gravitational field and inversely proportional to the mass of the object. This is described by Newton's second law of motion, F=ma.

5. Can the gravitational field be shielded or blocked?

Yes, the gravitational field can be shielded or blocked by objects with mass. This is known as gravitational shielding. For example, the Earth's gravitational field is partially shielded by its atmosphere, which is why objects fall more slowly when they are dropped from a higher altitude. However, it is not possible to completely block the gravitational field.