Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The last week on Earth, or maybe not?

1. Dec 14, 2012 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My dad thinks it's the last week on Earth, he's taken the day off so that he can be with my mom when it all ends. I don't know, that just not right.

Any tips to convince him the world is not coming to an end? Apparently he's convinced because two independent cultures (that couldn't have communicated with each other) predicted the end of the calendar at that date. It was probably in a Discovery channel documentary.

Good thing is that the end of the world is followed by a weekend, to recover from the fact everybody needs to get back to work :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2012 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

At the college where I work, everybody (including administration and staff) gets a long Christmas / New Year's break which begins on... Friday 12/21!

4. Dec 14, 2012 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It's going to be a VERY long break indeed.

No but start taking monetary bets with people. $50 if the world doesn't end

5. Dec 14, 2012 #4

trollcast

Gold Member

Same, my school even gave us a half day so we could enjoy our Doomsday.

6. Dec 14, 2012 #5
    A definition of "end" would be great. The world just poofs into non-existence? The world explodes? Implodes?

7. Dec 14, 2012 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Massive flooding of the continents with water.

8. Dec 14, 2012 #7

jedishrfu

Buy your Dad a lottery ticket, if the ticket doesn't win the world didn't end.

9. Dec 14, 2012 #8

Evo

Monique, that's frightening, you don't think he'd be driven to do anything to himself or your mother, do you?

10. Dec 14, 2012 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, not really. But still, he believes it and that is disconcerting. The counter evidence is a conspiracy to let people believe it's not going to happen. I'll visit tomorrow, so hopefully it will be more of a "can't wait to see what'll happen" than something more weighty.

11. Dec 14, 2012 #10
    A good reason to take that day off. Tell him that he will wake up on Saturday with a surprise!

Funny enough, my instructor announced today the third midterm exam, saying the following:

It will be on the last week!

I think that I've just realized that he purposely announced it that way to play on the whole end of the world pop culture. It's kind of an implicit joke. However, we still have two weeks until the final exams and the third midterm will happen in the last week, after the promised Friday.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  12. Dec 14, 2012 #11

jedishrfu

Good comment, I didn't think of that scenario (war of the worlds radio show scare).

13. Dec 14, 2012 #12

Borek

I can feel your pain :frown:

14. Dec 14, 2012 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks Borek.

And to top that off I'm also worried about my sister, who has to make a serious decision in love and finances that has the possibility to end badly. I'm glad when the coming week is over.

15. Dec 14, 2012 #14
    I don't know what the second culture is but the Mayan calendar in question doesn't predict the end of the world. It just calculates certain very large cycles of planetary or star motions up to a point and then takes a rest, so to speak. All that is coming to an end is one of these very large cycles. Things will segue into the start of the next cycle with no visible disturbance of anything anywhere.

If you google, Monique, you'll find they discovered an even longer term calendar in some other Mayan ruin that goes something like 2000 years into the future from now. Your Dad should be told about that.

Any given Mayan calendar stops at a certain point for the same reason all calendars stop at a certain point: if you don't stop somewhere you will just keep calculating forever. Our calendars are limited to year-long increments for convenience' sake. The world is not expected to end every 31st of December despite the fact that, every year, the calendar ends on that date.

16. Dec 14, 2012 #15

Borek

It just occurred to me - in a way, when those closest to us start believing such things, word DOES come to an end. Different word, different end, but heartbreaking.

17. Dec 14, 2012 #16

Borg

Gold Member

Ask him to give you all of their money, possessions, home, etc. After all, they aren't going to need any of it. Watch his reaction and see if he has to think twice. If he hesitates or finds a reason why he shouldn't then I would think that he doesn't believe it as much as he's saying.

18. Dec 14, 2012 #17
  19. Dec 15, 2012 #18
    I'd second that. If he DOES give you everything, that'll be a cause for concern.

20. Dec 15, 2012 #19

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I doubt you can convince him, and probably just have to wait it out to Dec. 22. You probably should keep an eye out that somebody doesn't come along and take advantage of your parents.

21. Dec 15, 2012 #20

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm not at all familiar with the Mayan Calendar system, so perhaps a bit of wiki/wican-magic is in line:

bolding mine

Or as Borg mentioned:

Cha-Ching!

I mean really. Do you want someone not playing with a full deck to have control of the family fortune?

That reminds me. My sister thinks the world is coming to an end because Obama became president. A UDT Seal Mensa member told her so.

My apologies if I've come across as painting your father as a bit crazy, but my entire family is a bit crazy. I know crazy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook