Unlocking the Mystery of the Creeping Ray & Relativity

It is also commonly observed on a much smaller scale in gravitational lensing of stars by (other) stars in our own galaxy.In summary, the conversation discussed the "creeping ray" effect in relation to light and magnetism experiments, and how it may be a factor in the bending of light during a solar eclipse. However, it was concluded that diffraction is negligible in this scenario and the observed light deflection is a result of gravitational lensing, a well-known effect in optics.
AkInfinity
I have been doing many experiments with light and magnetism,

and one of the things I noticed is that when light is passed on the right side of a sphere (e.g.) some of the laser rays will deflect from a straight path and bent towards the left. I believe this is known as the "creeping ray".

Can someone refer me to what causes the creeping ray or just explain it?

Secondly; it is claimed that a famous eclipse "proved relativity" when light could be seen behind the sun because "space-time" bent light, however what if this effect is the "creeping ray" effect and not mass bending space. Can someone show me some proof that the creeping ray was taken into consideration when formulating the equation for the eclipse because i haven't seen any.

From what I have seen it seems that the effect of light bending around the sun is given off by creeping ray effect and not by mass bending space so much (i mean this effect can be replicated with tiny masses).

Thanks for your help and good luck with your works!

Physics news on Phys.org
Diffraction?

Secondly; it is claimed that a famous eclipse "proved relativity" when light could be seen behind the sun because "space-time" bent light, however what if this effect is the "creeping ray" effect and not mass bending space.
Diffraction is negligible for light propagation in the solar system. And even if your "creeping ray" is some surface effect or whatever, this is negligible as well.

With current telescopes, it is possible to see the deflection of light even if you look perpendicular to the sun. It follows exactly the pattern predicted by general relativity, and it has to be taken into account to determine the proper position of the stars.

The creeping ray is a well-known effect in optics:
Creeping rays are a type of diffracted rays which are generated at the shadow line of the
scatterer and propagate along geodesic paths on the scatterer surface. On a perfectly conducting
convex body, they attenuate along their propagation path by tangentially shedding diffracted rays
and losing energy
Light deflection by a gravitational field is quite different - not diffraction, not a surface effect. It was originally observed by Eddington during a solar eclipse, in which the deflection was measured over an entire field of stars and the expected magnitude and systematic variation with distance from the sun was confirmed. Nowadays the effect is known as gravitational lensing, and you can find many dramatic illustrations of it on a galactic scale.

Last edited:

1. What is the Creeping Ray?

The Creeping Ray is a hypothetical phenomenon proposed by Albert Einstein as part of his Theory of Relativity. It suggests that as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its length will appear to shrink in the direction of its motion.

2. How does the Creeping Ray relate to Relativity?

The Creeping Ray is a concept that is derived from Einstein's Theory of Relativity. It is one of the many implications of the theory and helps to explain how objects behave at high speeds.

3. What is the significance of understanding the Creeping Ray?

Understanding the Creeping Ray is important because it helps us to better understand the fundamental principles of the universe, such as space, time, and motion. It also has practical implications for things like space travel and particle accelerators.

4. Can the Creeping Ray be observed in real life?

While we cannot directly observe the Creeping Ray, its effects have been confirmed through experiments and observations of high-speed particles and objects. Additionally, the principles of the Creeping Ray have been applied in technologies such as GPS systems.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding the Creeping Ray?

There are some debates among scientists about the validity of the Creeping Ray and its implications on our understanding of space and time. However, most scientists accept it as a fundamental aspect of Einstein's Theory of Relativity.