Finding the Correct Way to Cross a River in a Canoe

• Thread starter r.meghdies
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the correct way to answer a question about a canoeist crossing a river with a current. Option 2 is deemed correct based on the use of cosine, and it would take the canoeist 5.63 minutes to cross the river. However, there may be some confusion about the direction of the current and the canoeist's paddling direction.
r.meghdies
I have a test on Friday on this...now my textbook, 2 physics teachers and other people say I'm wrong but i know i still think I'm right. what is the right way to answer this i explained option 2 is correct. please give explanation of why, or examples i can use to prove it.

Thank you!

A canoeist who can paddle 5km/h in still water wishes to cross a 400 m wide river, with 2km/h current. If he steers the canoe perpendicular to the current and wants to get straight across the river how long will it take him to cross the river.

Which way is right? and why?

hypotenuse = 5 km/h
...| (ignore dots)
...| < 2 km/h
__________|
^ 400 m & 4.58 km/h
Θ = 22*

option 1:

t = 0.4 km / 4.58 km/h

option 2:
cosΘ = a / h
cos 22 = 0.4 km / h
h = 0.43 km

now i do t= .43km / 4.58 km/h

t= 5.63 minutes

Physics news on Phys.org
You could find the component of his velocity perpendicular to the current as [tex]\sqrt{5^{2}-2^{2}}[/tex] then divide .4 by that. No sines or cosines necessary.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure how this makes sense. It says the canoeist is paddling perpendicular to the current, but he can't do that and make it straight to the other shore unless the current is also pointed toward the shore.

Last edited:

1. What is the old Canoe question?

The old Canoe question is a popular thought experiment that poses the question of how to determine the age of an old canoe found in the forest.

2. What is the significance of the old canoe question?

The significance of the old canoe question lies in its ability to challenge our critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities. It also highlights the limitations of relying solely on scientific methods to answer complex questions.

3. What are the different approaches to solving the old canoe question?

There are various approaches to solving the old canoe question, including using carbon dating, analyzing the tree rings of the trees surrounding the canoe, and considering historical records and indigenous knowledge.

4. Is there a definitive answer to the old canoe question?

No, there is no definitive answer to the old canoe question. Each approach has its own limitations and uncertainties, making it impossible to determine the exact age of the canoe with absolute certainty.

5. Why is the old canoe question still relevant today?

The old canoe question is still relevant today because it challenges our understanding of the scientific method and encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also highlights the importance of considering multiple perspectives and sources of information in scientific research.