The probability that spin will be in -x direction

Good job!In summary, we discussed the probability of a spin 1/2 particle being in the -x direction when its state is represented as a linear combination of the +z and -z directions. The probability is 1/2 and can be calculated by multiplying the projection onto the -x direction by its complex conjugate. This method gives the same answer as finding the magnitude in the complex plane and squaring it.
czaroffishies

Homework Statement

A spin 1/2 particle is in the state [tex]\left| \Psi \right\rangle[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{2/3}\left|\uparrow\right\rangle + i\sqrt{1/3}\left|\downarrow\right\rangle[/tex]

A measurement is made of the x-component of the spin. What is the probability that the spin will be in the -x direction?

Homework Equations

Spin states are represented as linear combinations of the spin in the +z direction and -z direction, since these spins form an orthonormal basis set:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin-½#Mathematical_description

In this case, spin in -x direction is represented by

[tex]\sqrt{1/2} \[
\left( {\begin{array}{cc}
1 \\
-1 \\
\end{array} } \right)
\][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

P = [tex]\left|\left\langle\leftarrow\left|\Psi\right\rangle\left|^{2}[/tex]
= the transpose of the [tex]\leftarrow[/tex] matrix, times the [tex]\Psi[/tex] matrix, squared.

When calculating this straightforwardly, I will end up with a complex probability because of the i term in the [tex]\Psi[/tex] matrix. That doesn't make sense!

So, do I just take this complex number and find its magnitude in the complex plane, and then square that?

Or something else?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
czaroffishies said:
P = [tex]\left|\left\langle\leftarrow\left|\Psi\right\rangle\left|^{2}[/tex]
= the transpose of the [tex]\leftarrow[/tex] matrix, times the [tex]\Psi[/tex] matrix, squared.

When calculating this straightforwardly, I will end up with a complex probability because of the i term in the [tex]\Psi[/tex] matrix. That doesn't make sense!
The method is correct.
So, do I just take this complex number and find its magnitude in the complex plane, and then square that?

Or something else?

Thanks!
To find the probability you multiply the projection by its complex conjugate. Did you do that or did you just square it?

That is a fantastic idea!

P = [tex]\left(\sqrt{1/2}*\sqrt{2/3}-i\sqrt{1/2}*\sqrt{1/3}\right)*\left(\sqrt{1/2}*\sqrt{2/3}+i\sqrt{1/2}*\sqrt{1/3}\right)[/tex]

= 1/2

Is this correct?

Actually, this is the same answer I got when I used the magnitude-in-the-complex-plane method. Hrm. Coincidence, or no... I will look into it.

It is correct.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the physical meaning behind the spin states and how they are represented mathematically. The spin states in this case are represented as a linear combination of the +z and -z spin states, with the coefficients representing the probability amplitudes for each state.

To find the probability of the spin being in the -x direction, we need to find the probability amplitude for the -x spin state. This can be done by taking the inner product between the -x spin state and the given state \left|\Psi\right\rangle. Taking the transpose of the -x spin state, we get \left( {\begin{array}{cc} 1 \\ -1 \\ \end{array} } \right). Multiplying this with the given state \left|\Psi\right\rangle, we get:

\left( {\begin{array}{cc} 1 & -1 \\ \end{array} } \right) \left( {\begin{array}{cc} \sqrt{2/3} \\ i\sqrt{1/3} \\ \end{array} } \right) = \sqrt{2/3} - i\sqrt{1/3}

This is the probability amplitude for the -x spin state. To find the probability, we need to square this amplitude, which gives us:

P = \left|\sqrt{2/3} - i\sqrt{1/3}\right|^2 = \left(\sqrt{2/3}\right)^2 + \left(-i\sqrt{1/3}\right)^2 = 2/3 + 1/3 = 1

Therefore, the probability that the spin will be in the -x direction is 1, or 100%. This makes sense because the given state is a superposition of the +z and -z spin states, and the +z and -z spin states are orthogonal to the -x spin state. This means that the -x spin state is the only possible outcome for a measurement of the x-component of the spin.

1. What does "spin in -x direction" mean?

Spin refers to a property of subatomic particles, such as electrons, that can have a specific orientation or direction of rotation. The -x direction refers to a specific spatial direction in the coordinate system used to describe the particle's spin.

2. How is the probability of spin in -x direction calculated?

The probability of spin in a specific direction is calculated using quantum mechanics, specifically the Schrödinger equation. This equation takes into account the properties of the particle, its environment, and the potential energy of the system to determine the probability of the particle having a specific spin orientation at a given time.

3. What factors affect the probability of spin in -x direction?

The probability of spin in a specific direction can be affected by several factors, such as the strength of external magnetic fields, the presence of other particles, and the energy of the particle itself. These factors can influence the orientation and behavior of the particle, leading to changes in its spin direction and thus affecting the probability.

4. Why is the probability of spin in -x direction important in scientific research?

The probability of spin in a specific direction is important in various scientific fields, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and materials science. It allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of particles and materials at the atomic level, which is crucial in developing new technologies and advancing our understanding of the universe.

5. Can the probability of spin in -x direction ever be 100%?

According to the principles of quantum mechanics, the probability of spin in a specific direction can never be exactly 100%. This is due to the inherent uncertainty in the behavior of subatomic particles. However, the probability can be very close to 100% in certain circumstances, which can lead to practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.