The product of a matrix exponential and a vector

In summary, the product of a matrix exponential and a vector is a mathematical operation that combines a matrix with a vector to produce a new vector. It is calculated by finding the exponential of the matrix and then multiplying it by the vector. The purpose of this operation is to transform a vector in order to solve systems of equations and analyze data. There are several important properties and rules that apply to this product, and it can be used to solve various real-world problems in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.
Aleolomorfo
Hello everybody!
I was studying the Glashow-Weinberg-Salam theory and I have found this relation:
$$e^{\frac{i\beta}{2}}\,e^{\frac{i\alpha_3}{2} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \\ \end{pmatrix}}\, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix} 0\\ v \\ \end{pmatrix} = e^{\frac{i\beta}{2}}\,e^{-\frac{i\alpha_3}{2}}\, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix} 0\\ v \\ \end{pmatrix}$$
I do not know how the exponential matrix acts on the vector.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The exponential of a diagonal matrix is diagonal matrix containing the exponential of the diagonal elements:
$$
\exp \left[ \begin{pmatrix} d_1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & d_2 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & d_3 \end{pmatrix} \right] = \begin{pmatrix} e^{d_1} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & e^{d_2} & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & e^{d_3} \end{pmatrix}
$$
which can easily be shown using the series expansion of the exponential.

I guess that the right-hand side of the equation you wrote only has ##v##, not the original vector.

Likes FactChecker and Aleolomorfo
More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_exponential
But you got what you need from DrClaude.
The easy way is to transform the matrix into a diagonal with eigen vectors and such. Do the exponent thing above and, if you want, transform it back.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
Aleolomorfo said:
Hello everybody!
I was studying the Glashow-Weinberg-Salam theory and I have found this relation:
$$e^{\frac{i\beta}{2}}\,e^{\frac{i\alpha_3}{2} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \\ \end{pmatrix}}\, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix} 0\\ v \\ \end{pmatrix} = e^{\frac{i\beta}{2}}\,e^{-\frac{i\alpha_3}{2}}\, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix} 0\\ v \\ \end{pmatrix}$$
I do not know how the exponential matrix acts on the vector.
Thanks in advance!

The exponential of an ##m \times m## matrix is another ##m \times m## matrix:
$$e^A \equiv I + A + \frac{1}{2!} A^2 + \frac{1}{3!} A^3 + \cdots + \frac{1}{n!} A^n + \cdots,$$ where ##I## is the identity matrix. This series converges for any finite matrix ##A##.

The series is usually avoided when we actually want to compute ##e^A##. Instead, there are several quite good algorithms available to do the computation, mostly based on the use of eigenvalues.

Ray Vickson said:
The exponential of an ##m \times m## matrix is another ##m \times m## matrix:
$$e^A \equiv I + A + \frac{1}{2!} A^2 + \frac{1}{3!} A^3 + \cdots + \frac{1}{n!} A^n + \cdots,$$ where ##I## is the identity matrix. This series converges for any finite matrix ##A##.

The series is usually avoided when we actually want to compute ##e^A##. Instead, there are several quite good algorithms available to do the computation, mostly based on the use of eigenvalues.
And one can use the characteristic polynomial of the matrix to convert the infinite series to a finite-order polynomial.

Related to The product of a matrix exponential and a vector

1. What is the product of a matrix exponential and a vector?

The product of a matrix exponential and a vector is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying a matrix that has been raised to a power with a vector. This results in a new vector that is a linear combination of the columns of the original matrix.

2. How is the product of a matrix exponential and a vector calculated?

The product is calculated by first exponentiating the matrix, then multiplying the resulting matrix with the vector. This can be done using various methods, such as using a calculator or a computer program like MATLAB.

3. What is the significance of the product of a matrix exponential and a vector?

The product has many applications in mathematics, engineering, and physics. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, model dynamic systems, and analyze data in various fields.

4. Can the product of a matrix exponential and a vector be simplified?

Yes, in some cases, the product can be simplified using properties of matrix exponentials and vector operations. However, it is not always possible to simplify the product, and it depends on the specific values of the matrix and vector.

5. Are there any limitations to the product of a matrix exponential and a vector?

Yes, there are limitations to the product. The matrix must be square, and the vector must have the same number of elements as the matrix's dimensions. Additionally, the matrix must be invertible, and the vector must be a column vector.