The radii of charges moving in a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the ratio of radii of orbits between a proton and an electron with the same kinetic energies entering a magnetic field. The equation r = mv/qB is used to determine the ratio, but one of the participants realizes that the Lorentz force equation should be used instead. They also share a personal anecdote about making careless mistakes before.
satxer
1. A proton and an electron, with the same kinetic energies, enter a magnetic field and both attain circular orbits. What is the ratio of the radii of the orbits to each other?

KE = qvB = (mv^2)/r --> r = mv/qB

3. We know both q values and both m values. The B value is irrelevant. I've tried substituting arbitrary measurements for the velocity and radii of one of the particles, but that still leaves me with two variables to solve for the other particle (v and r). I have no idea what to do now...

Physics news on Phys.org
satxer said:
1. A proton and an electron, with the same kinetic energies, enter a magnetic field and both attain circular orbits. What is the ratio of the radii of the orbits to each other?

KE = qvB = (mv^2)/r --> r = mv/qB

3. We know both q values and both m values. The B value is irrelevant. I've tried substituting arbitrary measurements for the velocity and radii of one of the particles, but that still leaves me with two variables to solve for the other particle (v and r). I have no idea what to do now...

I don't think your equation is correct. The Lorentz Force gives that the centripital force is qvB, so it couldn't be the KE. Use KE = 1/2 mv^2 for each particle. Different masses give different velocities. Then use the Lorentz Force...

OMG you're right. Thanks so much. How stupid of me. I got the formula (mv^2)/r confused with (mv^2)/2

Please be so kind as to assuage my severely bruised ego with anecdotes of any past careless mistakes you have made :redface:

satxer said:
OMG you're right. Thanks so much. How stupid of me. I got the formula (mv^2)/r confused with (mv^2)/2

Please be so kind as to assuage my severely bruised ego with anecdotes of any past careless mistakes you have made :redface:

No worries. Lorentz force problems are some of my favorites. :smile:

1. What is the relationship between the radii of charges and a magnetic field?

The radii of charges moving in a magnetic field are directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field and the speed of the charges. This means that as the magnetic field or the speed of the charges increases, the radii of the charges will also increase.

2. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the radii of charges?

The direction of the magnetic field has a significant impact on the radii of charges. When the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of motion of the charges, the radius of the charges will be the largest. However, when the magnetic field is parallel to the motion of the charges, the radius will be zero.

3. How do positive and negative charges behave differently in a magnetic field?

Positive and negative charges behave differently in a magnetic field due to their opposite charges. A positive charge will experience a force in one direction, while a negative charge will experience a force in the opposite direction. This leads to different radii of motion for positive and negative charges in the same magnetic field.

4. Can the radii of charges be manipulated in a magnetic field?

Yes, the radii of charges can be manipulated in a magnetic field by changing the strength or direction of the magnetic field. Additionally, the speed of the charges can also be adjusted to alter their radii of motion in a magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the radii of charges in a magnetic field?

Understanding the radii of charges in a magnetic field has many practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and MRI machines. It is also crucial in the study of electromagnetism and the behavior of charged particles in space.