Exploring Discontinuous Functions on an Interval [a,b]

In summary: Thank you.In summary, the function f(x) is discontinuous on the interval [-4,4] and does not have an accumulation point.
Kraziethuy
1. An example of a discontinuous function on an interval [a,b] that does not assume every value between f(a) and f(b).

[edit] My answer to this: Piecewise function f(x)= 1/x, for x greater than and equal to -4 but less than zero (0). And f(x)=1/x for x greater than zero but less than and equal to 4. This makes the function discontinuous, on the interval [-4,4]. Now, I let c=0. There does not exist a value x in (-4,4) such that f(x)=c. Correct?

2. Find a nested sequence of non-compact sets whose intersection is empty.

3. An example of an unbounded infinite set that has no accumulation point.

For this one, I know that 1/n, for n=1,2,3,... has ONLY zero as an accumulation point, so can I maybe do something like {1/n}U{0} so that there is no longer an accumulation point? I'm pretty suck on this one.

[edit] (I figured out #4 and #5 now o:) )

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
we won't do HW for you, read the sticky

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=4825

My other thread went unanswered for the most part, and I'd rather not explain this one if it's going to end up the same way. If I made it this far in math, it's obviously not because I don't do my own hw.

I've spent two days already working with these problems and the other two listed in my previous thread. I know the basic theorems used in deciphering the problems, but haven't built up anything to go along with what I've posted.

I know it looks as though I'm just going for a quick answer, but even then I'd have to prove the answer received anyway. So there aren't free answers here.

I'm just here for help. If you don't want to help, then please don't reply.

1. What is a discontinuous function?

A discontinuous function is a type of mathematical function where there is a break or gap in the graph. This means that the function is not continuous, or smooth, at certain points on its domain.

2. How can I identify a discontinuous function?

A discontinuous function will have at least one point on its domain where there is a jump, hole, or vertical asymptote in the graph. You can also look for points where the function is undefined or has a different limit from either side.

3. What is the significance of studying discontinuous functions on an interval?

Studying discontinuous functions on an interval allows us to better understand the behavior and properties of these types of functions. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics, where discontinuous functions can be used to model real-world phenomena.

4. How do I graph a discontinuous function on an interval?

To graph a discontinuous function on an interval, you can plot the points where the function is defined and connected them with dotted lines to indicate the discontinuities. It is also helpful to plot the limits of the function at the points of discontinuity.

5. Can discontinuous functions have limits?

Yes, discontinuous functions can have limits, but they may be different from the function's value at that point. For example, a jump discontinuity occurs when the limit from the left and right sides of a point are different.