The resulting pH due to the mixing of four solutions

• Thread starter macman101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixing Ph
In summary, four solutions are mixed together and the pH of the resulting solution is unknown. The salts in the solutions do not have an effect on the pH. The easiest situation to solve is when only one of the solutions is a salt and the other three solutions are strong acids. The pH of the solution will be negative logarithm of the hydrogen ion concentration as molarity.
macman101
ive spent over 2 hours on this question and i am unable to solve it. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

What is the pH of the solution that results from mixing the following four solutions together?

(1) 150. mL of 0.250 M NaCl
(2) 300. mL of 0.200 M HCl
(3) 100. mL of 0.050 M HNO3
(4) 450. mL of 0.200 M NaOAc

HCl and HNO3 are both strong acids and give 0.065 mol of h3o.
There are also 0.09 mol of NaOAc which is a weak base in the solution.
The hydronium reacts with NaOAc, resulting in 0.025 mol of NaOAc in a 1L solution

i do not know what to do after, I've reacted so many possible combinations and still cannot get an answer. The possiable answers are as follows:
a. ) 4.22
b. ) 4.33
c. ) 4.74
d. ) 4.98
e. ) 5.16

Physics news on Phys.org
edit: I misunderstood the question when I posted this response:

The easier situations are #1, 2, 3. #1 is only a neutral salt in solution; #2 and #3 are each strong acid situations (therefore, completed ionized in solution). Use the definition of pH (or the simpler definition of pH), being "negative logarithm, base 10, of the hydrogen ion concentration as molarity".

#4 is a bit more complicated in that you need to be studying weak acid equilibrium.

Last edited:
that doesn't really help me lol, I am really stuck

macman101 said:
that doesn't really help me lol, I am really stuck

Right. I misunderstood your question. You wanted to know the pH when the FOUR listed solutions are mixed. This will be a weak-acid equilibrium problem. The salt solution will have no effect. The solutions of strong acids will contribute hydronium ions. This will have the effect of inhibiting ionization of the acetic acid. There is a good working expression for how to handle this using formal concentrations of acetic acid and any (if any) formal salt concentration of the acetic acid. Unfortunately, I am not in current condition to handle that expression (I have been in the past). I may need to review before I offer the help; meanwhile, someone else may give this help before I do my review of this topic.

From me, maybe two or three hours to restudy - that's why someone else will probably help you before I do.

I thought about this a bit longer, and you can assume that most or nearly all of the acidity comes from the strong acids, so that ionization from acetic acid is negligible. That should simplify the exercise. Hydroxide will be unimportant in the exercise, also.

Fundamentally you can use (H+Ac-OH)(H)/(Fsalt-H) = Ka

but practically, you may just as well use (H+Ac)(H)/(Fsalt-H) = Ka or also better
(H)(H)/(Fsalt-H) = Ka because you could expect negligible dissociation of acetic acid.

[tex]\frac{(H)(H)}{Fsalt - H}[/tex] = Ka in case the pure text formatting be difficult to read.

This is simple buffer problem, just convoluted so that it is hard to spot :smile: Assume protonation went to completion, use Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

Another approach is to check for any excess of hydrogen ions after protonating the acetate ion. Any acidic pH is essentially all from the unused hydrogens from the strong acids.

Yes, but there is no excess H+.

Borek said:
Yes, but there is no excess H+.

Very good. I did not check that far. My statement was, at least in part, a qualitative best guess. I really did not do the mole for mole calculations.

To be honest I was too lazy to do it by hand, but my pH calculator (well, one of my pH calculators, the more universal one) makes wonders in such cases.

What is pH and why is it important?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution on a scale from 0 to 14. It is important because it affects the chemical properties of a solution and can have an impact on biological processes.

How is pH calculated?

pH is calculated by taking the negative logarithm of the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution. The formula is pH = -log[H+].

What happens when four solutions with different pH levels are mixed?

The resulting pH will depend on the concentrations and pH levels of the individual solutions. It can be calculated by taking into account the volume and pH of each solution.

Can the resulting pH be predicted?

Yes, the resulting pH can be predicted by using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which takes into account the concentrations of the solutions and their respective pK values.

How does the strength of an acid or base affect the resulting pH?

The strength of an acid or base refers to its ability to donate or accept hydrogen ions. The stronger the acid or base, the more it will shift the resulting pH towards its own pH level.