PH of solution from mixing four solutions

• Thread starter MightyMan11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixing Ph
In summary: The solution is a buffer solution, and the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation can be used to calculate the pH. Using the concentrations of acetic acid and acetate from the ICE table, and the Ka for acetic acid, the pH of the solution is 4.33. This matches one of the choices given. In summary, the solution resulting from the mixing of the four solutions is a buffer solution with a pH of 4.33, calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.
MightyMan11

Homework Statement

What is the pH of the solution that results from mixing the following four solutions together:
(i) 150 ml of 0.250M NaCl
(ii) 300 ml of 0.200M HCl
(iii) 100 ml of 0.050M HNO3
(iv) 450ml of 0.200M NaOAc

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, NaCl does not contribute to the pH of the solution.
HCl and HNO3 are both strong acids and contribute 0.065 mol of hydronium.
There are also 0.09 mol of NaOAc (weak base) in the solution.
The hydronium reacts with NaOAc, resulting in 0.025 mol of NaOAc in a 1L solution (0.025M NaOAc).

Setting up an ICE table for acetate and acetic acid and using Kb for acetate is equal to 5.56x10-10 i worked out that the concentration of OH was 3.73x10-6.
Then -log[OH] resulting in pOH of 5.43,
pH of 8.57

However, my answer is not in the choices that are given to me.
choices:

can anyone help?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
0.065M of hydronium
0.09M of NaOAc

Once they react, you have a solution containing both acetic acid and its conjugate base. Such a solution has a name and its pH is described by specific equation. ICE table is useless here.

Thanks.
I had completely forgotten about the acetic acid that forms.

1. What is the formula for calculating the pH of a solution from mixing four solutions?

The formula for calculating the pH of a solution from mixing four solutions is pH = -log[H+] where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution.

2. How do I determine the concentrations of the four solutions when calculating the pH?

The concentrations of the four solutions can be determined by measuring the amount of solute (in moles) in each solution and dividing by the total volume of the mixed solution.

3. Can the pH of a solution from mixing four solutions be negative?

Yes, the pH of a solution from mixing four solutions can be negative if the concentration of hydrogen ions is high enough. This usually occurs when mixing strong acids or bases with a high concentration.

4. How does the pH of the final solution change when mixing four solutions with different pH levels?

The pH of the final solution will depend on the relative concentrations of the four solutions. The solution with the highest concentration and/or strongest acidity or basicity will have the most influence on the final pH.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the pH of a solution from mixing four solutions?

Yes, temperature can also affect the pH of a solution. As temperature increases, the concentration of hydrogen ions also increases, resulting in a lower pH. Additionally, the presence of buffers or other compounds in the solutions can also impact the final pH.