Distance Covered by Puck A at Collision

In summary, two hockey pucks, labeled A and B, are initially at rest on a smooth ice surface and are separated by a distance of 18.0. Puck A moves with a speed of 2.70, and puck B moves with a speed of 5.10. By setting up the kinematics equations for both pucks, it is found that their x-coordinates will be the same at a time given by 2.70t = 18 - 5.10t. Therefore, to find the distance covered by puck A at the time of collision, we can use the ratio of the speeds, (2.70/5.10), and multiply it by the total distance traveled, 18
Kalie
Two hockey pucks, labeled A and B, are initially at rest on a smooth ice surface and are separated by a distance of 18.0 . Simultaneously, each puck is given a quick push and they begin to slide directly toward each other. Puck A moves with a speed of = 2.70 , and puck B moves with a speed of = 5.10 .

What is the distance covered by puck A by the time the two pucks collide?

Really I just need to know how to set it up becuase each time I do this problem I get a negative answer when finding time and well time can't be negative can it?

Please help me...my brain hurts

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried? Show your work first so we can comment on it.

Well what I have been doing is that I know that X1a=X1b and the equation of x1a= x0a + V0a (t1) and x1b= x0b - V0b (t1)
X1a= 2.70 t1
X1b+ 18-(-5.10) t1

2.70 t1= 18+5.10t1
2.70t1-5.10t1=18
-2.4t=18
t=-7.5
so then puck a traveled a -20.25m

so really that what I have been doing I tweeked it to make it positive but puck a can't travel farther than 18 m so really I got stuck in a hole after that...It has been a couple of days

Have I been approaching it wrong?
I setted up a list of knowns and unknowns

Last edited:
The approach is perfect. You are using the equations of kinematics under a null force with puck A at the origin and puck B at x=18.0. However, the general equation of kinematics (i.e. the "model" applicable for any more under a null force) is

[tex]x(t)=x_0+v_0t[/tex]

But you have been using the (wrong) equation [tex]x(t)=x_0-v_0t[/tex] for particle B. This is where your error comes from.

Thank you so much! Its correct now! Just goes to show that the mastering physics dude was wrong
Thank you

Your initial equation for puck b seems fine to me, since it's x-coordinate will decrease with time. For puck a the x-coordinate will be

[tex]x_a = 2.70t[/tex]

and for puck b

[tex]x_b = 18 - 5.10t[/tex]

their x-coordinates will be the same at a time given by

[tex]2.70t = 18 - 5.10t[/tex]

Well to avoid confusion, (and also because that is what the maths behind the derivation of the kinematics equation says), we take

[tex]x(t)=x_0+v_0t[/tex]

as the base equation, and let [itex]v_0[/itex] itself be either positive or negative wheter the motion is in the positive x-direction or negative x-direction respectively.

Last edited:
This question seems far easier to do as a ratio, because the distances traveled is in the same ratio as the speeds, so you can use (V_a/V_t) * S_t.

1. What are slide rules and how do they work?

Slide rules are mechanical calculating devices that were widely used in the past by scientists, engineers, and mathematicians for performing calculations. They consist of two logarithmic scales, one fixed and one movable, which are used to multiply, divide, and find square roots. The user slides the movable scale to align numbers and perform calculations.

2. Why were slide rules replaced by calculators and computers?

In the late 20th century, slide rules were gradually replaced by electronic calculators and computers, which are faster, more accurate, and easier to use. These modern devices also have the ability to perform more complex calculations and store data, making them more versatile than slide rules.

3. Are slide rules still used today?

Although slide rules are no longer used in mainstream calculations, they are still used by some professionals, hobbyists, and collectors. Some people also use them for educational purposes to understand the principles of logarithms and basic math operations.

4. What are the different types of slide rules?

There are several types of slide rules, such as the simplex, duplex, and circular slide rules. The simplex slide rule has one fixed and one movable scale, while the duplex has two movable scales. Circular slide rules, also known as wheel slide rules, are designed to perform specific calculations, such as conversions and trigonometric functions.

5. How accurate are slide rules compared to calculators?

Slide rules are generally accurate to three or four significant figures, depending on the precision of the scales and the user's skill in aligning the numbers. In comparison, electronic calculators can provide more precise results, often up to 10 decimal places. However, slide rules are still considered reliable tools for many practical calculations.