1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Slide Rules (Help me *tears*)

1. Aug 27, 2006 #1
    Two hockey pucks, labeled A and B, are initially at rest on a smooth ice surface and are separated by a distance of 18.0 . Simultaneously, each puck is given a quick push and they begin to slide directly toward each other. Puck A moves with a speed of = 2.70 , and puck B moves with a speed of = 5.10 .

What is the distance covered by puck A by the time the two pucks collide?

Really I just need to know how to set it up becuase each time I do this problem I get a negative answer when finding time and well time can't be negative can it?

Please help me....my brain hurts

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What have you tried? Show your work first so we can comment on it.

4. Aug 27, 2006 #3
    Well what I have been doing is that I know that X1a=X1b and the equation of x1a= x0a + V0a (t1) and x1b= x0b - V0b (t1)
    X1a= 2.70 t1
    X1b+ 18-(-5.10) t1

2.70 t1= 18+5.10t1
    2.70t1-5.10t1=18
    -2.4t=18
    t=-7.5
    so then puck a traveled a -20.25m

so really that what I have been doing I tweeked it to make it positive but puck a can't travel farther than 18 m so really I got stuck in a hole after that.....It has been a couple of days

Have I been approaching it wrong?
    I setted up a list of knowns and unknowns

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  5. Aug 27, 2006 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The approach is perfect. You are using the equations of kinematics under a null force with puck A at the origin and puck B at x=18.0. However, the general equation of kinematics (i.e. the "model" applicable for any more under a null force) is

[tex]x(t)=x_0+v_0t[/tex]

But you have been using the (wrong) equation [tex]x(t)=x_0-v_0t[/tex] for particle B. This is where your error comes from.

6. Aug 28, 2006 #5
    Thank you so much! Its correct now! Just goes to show that the mastering physics dude was wrong
    Thank you

7. Aug 28, 2006 #6

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Your initial equation for puck b seems fine to me, since it's x-coordinate will decrease with time. For puck a the x-coordinate will be

[tex]x_a = 2.70t[/tex]

and for puck b

[tex]x_b = 18 - 5.10t[/tex]

their x-coordinates will be the same at a time given by

[tex]2.70t = 18 - 5.10t[/tex]

8. Aug 28, 2006 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well to avoid confusion, (and also because that is what the maths behind the derivation of the kinematics equation says), we take

[tex]x(t)=x_0+v_0t[/tex]

as the base equation, and let [itex]v_0[/itex] itself be either positive or negative wheter the motion is in the positive x-direction or negative x-direction respectively.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  9. Aug 28, 2006 #8

verty

Homework Helper

This question seems far easier to do as a ratio, because the distances travelled is in the same ratio as the speeds, so you can use (V_a/V_t) * S_t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?