Wave Equation: U is Amplitude Vector?

In summary: No, as U is a function of both coordinates and time, you can write it in terms of any two of those variables. For instance, in terms of position, you could write U(r,t) = rx.
PhiJ
In the wave equation, what is u, is it the amplitude?
If it is, how can it be a vector?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With that description it's impossible to tell. Post the whole equation.

If you're referring to D'Alembert's wave equation, then yes, and I assume:

[tex] \bigtriangledown^2 u = \frac{1}{c^2} \frac{\delta^2 u}{\delta t^2}}[/tex]

PhiJ said:
In the wave equation, what is u, is it the amplitude?
YES
If it is, how can it be a vector?
Why couldn't it be ?

Do you know the concept of a phasor ?

I suggest you look for the mathematical formalism behind wave-dynamics.
Try the Hyperphysics website.

marlon

Yup, that's what I meant by the wave equation.

I'm a bit confused as to what I am meant to put on what forum area, as the question got moved, but it definitely wasn't a schoolwork question, as it is beyond that, and it wasn't a coursework or textbook question either. Am I meant to just post every question that is to help me learn physics on this section, or what?

Haven't heard of a phasor. By the hyperphysics website, do you mean hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu?

A phasor is essentially a vector in an Im-Re plane. It's not easy to grasp the concept right off, so I suggest reading related material.

PhiJ said:
Haven't heard of a phasor. By the hyperphysics website, do you mean hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu?
A phasor is just a rotating vector (angle : wt), expressed in a XY-plane, of which the y component expresses the amplitude of a harmonic oscillation.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/phase.html

marlon

I understand why phase is reperesented as an angle, as your graph is a sin curve, but why do you represent it as an angle on the complex plane? Is it because you then have the angle between when the formula for the point is i sin theta and cos theta?

I thought amplitude was not a vector because then you could say that two waves have the same amplitude even if they are oscilating on different planes. Obviously not.

in the wave equation U can be an scalar field or a vector field.

The Laplacian is defined for both of them. In the vectorial case you have a vectorial amplitude, and two waves will have the same amplitude if their vectorial amplitudes are equal.

u is a field!? I thought it was an amplitude!

As a funtion of both the coordinates and the time U=U(r,t) is a field. Depending if it is a scalar or a vectorial function it represents the corresponding kind of field.

Physically that field may represent oscillations, which have 'amplitude' and' phase'. For instance U may represent the electric field (a vectorial field) of a propagating electromagnetic wave.

Last edited:
U is a field! Does that mean that U(r,t) is the function, that, if you input your position, time, and other important things (e.g. charge) then it will give you the force you experience? How would this work for a photon though?

Well, i actually meaned a field in these sense
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalar_field
and this other one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_field
What function U represents physically depends on the context, many phenomena may be described by the wave equation.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_equation
and this is an example of such phenomena
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_wave_equation
About your other statemets/questions, well, let's say that they were 'too appresurate'. :biggrin:

Last edited:
So to solve, you would need [TEX]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/TEX] in terms of t?

Related to Wave Equation: U is Amplitude Vector?

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves, such as sound waves or light waves. It is often written as U = A sin(kx-wt), where U is the amplitude vector, A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, x is the position, and wt is the angular frequency multiplied by time.

2. What is the amplitude vector in the wave equation?

The amplitude vector, denoted as U, represents the maximum displacement of any point on a wave from its equilibrium position. In other words, it measures the height or strength of the wave at a given point.

3. How is the amplitude vector related to the amplitude in the wave equation?

The amplitude vector, U, is directly proportional to the amplitude, A. This means that as the amplitude increases, so does the amplitude vector. However, the amplitude vector also takes into account the direction of the wave, whereas the amplitude only measures the magnitude of the wave.

4. What is the significance of the wave number in the wave equation?

The wave number, k, is a constant that represents the number of waves per unit distance. It is directly related to the wavelength of the wave, with a shorter wavelength resulting in a larger wave number. The wave number is also used to calculate the speed of the wave.

5. How is the wave equation applied in real-world scenarios?

The wave equation is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetics. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of waves in different mediums, such as air, water, and solids. It is also used in the development of technologies, such as radar, sonar, and medical imaging.