What would happen if two identical blowers were connected in a loop?

• Thread starter mcouch
  • Start date
In summary: Decreasing the cross-sectional area of the outlet could also lead to a decrease in air pressure as the volume of air flowing through the device is reduced.
mcouch
Settle an office debate:

If we have two identical blowers and connected the inlet of Blower A up to the outlet of Blower B and then connected the inlet of Blower B up to the outlet of Blower A, what would happen to the flow rate at the outlet of either one when each one is energized simultaneously.

Keep in mind the spirit of the question here: this is totally theoretical, and all possible differences between the blowers and their power supplies, etc. are eliminated.

Thoughts?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Isn't this the same as having a blower with its inlet connected to its outlet? The length of pipe between the blowers becomes a factor here. Consider for example a very long section of pipe. Once they turn on, the pressure immediately upstream will drop and a pressure wave will propogate back to the outlet of the other machine. Similarly, pressure at the outlet of the blower will increase and that pressure propogates forward to the inlet of the opposite machine. Flow rate is restricted by friction with the walls of the pipe so as velocity increases, the irreversible pressure drop along the wall of the pipe increases.

For very short sections or for the case where we essentially neglect flow restriction, the air velocity increases until the blower can no longer impart any momentum to it, but the pressure right at start up will do the same as for a longer pipe, just much faster.

If the two blowers were identical, then that would not be an efficient design. That is why every stage in a gas turbine compressor is different. Each stage is designed to receive the gas in a certain state from the stage ahead of it, and to deliver it to the next stage with slightly more energy imparted into it.

Hi everyone!

I have a simple question. I have got a centrifugal blower installed at a mill. My problem is that the air generated by it is too much than required by me. I want to lower the air generated & air pressure at outlet of centrifugal blower.

I know other methods like rpm control, blade sizing, impeller sizing. I have encountered a simple way, just need to verify the outcomes. My blower outlet size is 10" x 18". I just put up a solid box at its outlet so the discharge cross section becomes 10" x 10". Will this help me.

Quick suggestions needed.

Crude, but that should reduce air flow.

Look out for possible over heating of the motor as you apply more load to it in this manner.

Related to What would happen if two identical blowers were connected in a loop?

1. What is the Theoretic Blower Problem?

The Theoretic Blower Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the most efficient way to distribute air through a network of pipes and blowers. It is often used in engineering and physics to optimize air flow systems.

2. What are the main factors that affect the Theoretic Blower Problem?

The main factors that affect the Theoretic Blower Problem include the size and layout of the network, the pressure and flow rate of the air, and the efficiency of the blowers and pipes. Other factors may include temperature and humidity.

3. How is the Theoretic Blower Problem solved?

The Theoretic Blower Problem is solved using mathematical equations and algorithms that take into account the variables and constraints of the system. These calculations may be done manually or with the help of computer software, such as computational fluid dynamics (CFD) programs.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Theoretic Blower Problem?

The Theoretic Blower Problem has many practical applications, such as designing ventilation systems in buildings, optimizing air flow in industrial processes, and improving the efficiency of heating and cooling systems. It is also used in the design of wind turbines and aircraft engines.

5. What are some limitations of the Theoretic Blower Problem?

The Theoretic Blower Problem is based on theoretical assumptions and ideal conditions, so it may not always accurately reflect real-world situations. It also assumes a steady-state flow, which may not always be the case in dynamic systems. Additionally, the model may not account for factors such as turbulence and pressure losses in the pipes, which can affect the accuracy of the results.