There is something wrong with this vector problem

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses how to add two vectors to find the ground speed of an airplane. It is advised to separate the original vector into horizontal and vertical components and add them individually. The wind from the west does not affect the vertical component, but may affect the horizontal component depending on its direction. The final answer should have a greater ground speed than the original airspeed of the airplane.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/125/unledcxk.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I added the two vectors and took the tangent of it.

I got 37.7 degrees the first time, but it was wrong.

I don't even know why the magnitude is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
what vectors did you add? You have to separate the original vector into horizontal and vertical components. then add the individual horizontal and vertical components.

the wind form the west, does not add or subtract from the vertical component.

A reasonable answer as to ground speed would have to be greater than the original airspeed of the airplane.

[tex]p = <250\sqrt{2}, 250\sqrt{2}>[/tex]
[tex]w=<-80,0>[/tex]

[tex]p+w =<250\sqrt{2} - 80, 250\sqrt{2}>[/tex]

The wind from the west is moving east.

I think that is the problem here.. the east wind is contributing to the horizontal component you posted. In other words, I think you may want to try adding instead of subtracting.

thanks, problem solved lol

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented as an arrow in a coordinate system.

2. How do you know if there is something wrong with a vector problem?

If the given vector problem leads to a contradiction or does not follow the laws of vector operations, then there may be something wrong with it. Additionally, if the solution does not make sense in the context of the problem, there could be an error.

3. What are some common mistakes when working with vector problems?

Some common mistakes include mixing up the order of vector operations, forgetting to account for negative signs, and not considering the direction of the vectors.

4. How can I check my answer for a vector problem?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original problem and ensuring that it satisfies all given conditions and follows the laws of vector operations. You can also use graphing software or online calculators to visualize the vectors and their operations.

5. Are there any tips for solving vector problems?

Some tips for solving vector problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the vectors, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, and double-checking your work for errors. It can also be helpful to review the properties and laws of vector operations before attempting to solve the problem.