Thermal expansion of steel tape

In summary, the length of the steel tape measure will increase to 102.063954 cm at 45 degrees C, while the length of the brass rod will increase to 101.9730888 cm at the same temperature. The difference in length between the two is due to the different coefficients of linear expansion for steel and brass. The question posed is asking for the length that the tape measure will read when the temperature increases to 45 degrees C, taking into account the change in length due to the expansion of both the steel tape and the brass rod.
donjt81
A steel tape measure gives the length of a brass rod 102cm when both are at 12 degree C. What would the tape measure read (d) when the temperature increases to 45 degree C?
coeff of linear expansion of steel = 1.9 * 10 power -5
coeff of linear expansion of brass = 1.1 * 10 power -5
so this is my approach
deformation = coeff * change in temp * length

for the steel tape I get
deformation = 1.9 * 10 power -5 * (45-12) * 102
=.063954

for the brass rod i get
deformation = 1.1 * 10 power -5 * (45-12) * 102
=.037026

So now my question is
What would the tape measure read (d) when the temperature increases to 45 degree C?
the tape measure would read 102 + .063954 = 102.063954 (is this correct?)

then why would they give coess for brass rod. seems like i could have gotten this answer without that also.

please help

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer should definitely be less than 102cm.

Let's imagine for a moment that we have two rods that are both length 102 cm at 12 degrees - one steel, the other brass. If we heat both to 45 degrees, which will be longer, and what will the difference in their lengths be?

okay let's take a step back

I am confused about what they are asking for here.

the question says "What would the tape measure read (d) when the temperature increases to 45 degree C?"

are they asking
1. What is the final length of the steel tape at 45 degrees
OR
2. What is the final lenth of the brass rod at 45 degrees
OR
3. What is the difference between the final length of the steel tape and the final length of the brass rod.

From your comment it sounds like they are asking #3. is this correct.

Actually, what they're asking for is slightly different -- the problem is tricky because the length of the scale is changing.
Let's also assume (for now) that the steel scale reads true at 12 degrees C.
Then the number you have calculated is the length that a reading of 102 corresponds to on the scale at 45 degrees C. So the steel scale is no longer reading true at 45 degrees C. The question is asking what the brass rod will measure at on this un-true scale at 45 degrees C.
What I was trying to point out is that since the brass rod is expanding more slowly than the steel scale, the length of the brass rod will be less than the length of the scale at the 102 mark at 45 degrees.

whoa that was a tricky one. I am still not sure if i got it right but this is what i have...

in the case of the steel tape
old 102 = new 102.063954
this means that 1cm on the un-true scale will be equal to 102/102.063954 = .999373 on the true scale

in the case of the brass rod
102.037026 will now be = 102.037026 * .999373 = 101.9730888

so the length of the brass rod on the un-tru scale is 101.9730888

does that look right?

donjt81 said:
whoa that was a tricky one. I am still not sure if i got it right but this is what i have...
in the case of the steel tape
old 102 = new 102.063954
this means that 1cm on the un-true scale will be equal to 102/102.063954 = .999373 on the true scale
in the case of the brass rod
102.037026 will now be = 102.037026 * .999373 = 101.9730888
so the length of the brass rod on the un-tru scale is 101.9730888
does that look right?

Well, the number shoud be right.

The words are a bit confusing because you can't really assume that either of the scales is true in a problem like this, and it would be much easier to read if you had: "1cm on the true scale will be equal to .999373 on the un-true scale" rather than what you have.

thats true
that is a better way to put it.

thanks nate

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of a material to expand or contract in response to changes in temperature. This phenomenon occurs because as temperature increases, the particles of the material vibrate faster and take up more space, causing the material to expand.

2. How does thermal expansion affect steel tape?

Steel tape, like all materials, expands when heated and contracts when cooled. This means that its length will change with fluctuations in temperature. This can be problematic for precise measurements, as the tape may not provide accurate readings if the temperature changes significantly.

3. Does the type of steel used in the tape affect its thermal expansion?

Yes, the type of steel used can have an impact on its thermal expansion. Some types of steel, such as stainless steel, have a lower coefficient of thermal expansion, meaning they expand and contract less with temperature changes. Other factors, such as the thickness and manufacturing process of the steel tape, can also affect its thermal expansion.

4. How do scientists account for thermal expansion when using steel tape for measurements?

Scientists can account for thermal expansion by calibrating their equipment and taking temperature measurements before and after using the steel tape. They can then use mathematical equations to adjust for the changes in length caused by thermal expansion and obtain more accurate measurements.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the thermal expansion of steel tape?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the thermal expansion of steel tape. These include the environment in which the tape is used, such as humidity and pressure, as well as the composition and structure of the material being measured. It is important for scientists to consider all of these factors when using steel tape for precise measurements.