Thermal expansion on a spring?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of the linear expansion formula to determine the compressional force needed to bring a heated brass spring back to its original length. The formula used is F = K * change of length, and the change of length is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of brass (9*10^-6) by the original length of the spring (.18m) and the change in temperature (135-21). The resulting force is 5.07N. The individual asking the question is concerned if this approach is correct, to which it is confirmed that it is a correct and not a complicated solution.
rsyodoom2005
1. A brass spring has an unstrained length of .18m and a spring constant of 1.3 E4 N/m. THe temperature increases from 21 cel to 135 cel. what is the magnitude of the compressional force that must be applied to the heated spring to bring it back to its original lenght!?

2. Linear expansion; Change of lenght= constant *lenght * change of temp
F= K Change of lenght

the thing i am concern is with Linear expansion formula can i use this fromula for the spring?! I figure out my change of length first my multyplying my coeficcient of brass
(9*10^-6)* .18m * 135-21 to get a result of 3.89*10^-4

Then i clicked it on to the spring constan formula using F= 1.3*10^4 * the distance of 3.89*10^-4 to myforce of 5.07N... is this a right approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Must be correct.I don't think that this question needs more complicated solution.

Yes, your approach is correct. The formula for linear expansion can be used for a spring, as the spring will experience a change in length due to the change in temperature. Your calculation of the change in length is correct and using the spring constant formula to calculate the force needed to bring the spring back to its original length is also correct. The compressional force needed would be 5.07N.

1. How does thermal expansion affect a spring?

Thermal expansion on a spring occurs when the temperature of the spring changes, causing it to expand or contract. This change in size can affect the stiffness and strength of the spring, potentially altering its performance.

2. What materials are commonly used for springs that are resistant to thermal expansion?

Some common materials used for springs that are resistant to thermal expansion include stainless steel, titanium, and nickel alloys. These materials have a low coefficient of thermal expansion, meaning they are less likely to expand or contract significantly with changes in temperature.

3. How can thermal expansion on a spring be measured?

Thermal expansion on a spring can be measured using a variety of techniques, including strain gauges, optical sensors, and infrared cameras. These tools can accurately measure the change in size of the spring due to thermal expansion and provide valuable data for analysis.

4. Can thermal expansion cause a spring to break?

Yes, thermal expansion can cause a spring to break if the temperature change is significant enough. This is because the expansion or contraction of the spring can create stress and strain on the material, potentially exceeding its elastic limit and causing it to break.

5. How can thermal expansion on a spring be prevented?

Thermal expansion on a spring can be prevented by using materials with a low coefficient of thermal expansion, as well as implementing design techniques such as adding supports or using multiple smaller springs instead of one large spring. Additionally, controlling the temperature environment can also help mitigate the effects of thermal expansion on a spring.