Thermal Expansion of A-36 Steel Rails: -20F to 90F

In summary, the gap between the rails needs to be .34848in to keep them from touching when the temperature is increased from -20 F to 90 F.
gv3

Homework Statement

The 40 ft long A-36 steel rails on a train track are laid with a small gap between them to allow for thermal expansion. Determine the required gap in inches so that the rails just touch one another when the temperature is increased from -20 F to 90 F. The cross sectional area of each rail is 5.10 in2.
engineering.jpg

So i was able to find out the deformation on the rail. My question is, does the .34848in get split between both ends of the rail since both sides are free ends? So each side would expand .17424in?

Homework Equations

δ=αΔTL[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

δ=αΔTL= .34848 in[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it make any difference?
Consider having a large number of rails, as in reality you would. Then think about the total expansion of the rails, then the total gap required, then the gap between each rail.

Merlin3189 said:
Does it make any difference?
Consider having a large number of rails, as in reality you would. Then think about the total expansion of the rails, then the total gap required, then the gap between each rail.
well because i was thinking that not only will the rail in the middle expand, but the one on the left and right of it would also expand. So if the deformation wasn't split between both ends, the gap would have to be 2δ. Because the rail in the middle will expand by δ and the rails next to it will also expand by δ.

Yes, one side would expand 0.1742, but the adjacent rail would also expand by that much.

Likes gv3
I think that is what is intended to happen. My point was simply about the calculation.

But I wonder if that may be a practical problem for RR engineers? The rail doesn't know which way it is supposed to move, so if the spikes and ties aren't uniform, the rail could move slightly asymmetrically when it expands and contracts. Over years perhaps the rails could creep and make the gaps vary in size?

Anyhow, over here we are moving to continuous welded rail, so there are no gaps any more. What happens when the rails warm up, I don't know. I think some CWR is laid hot, so that it lives in various states of tension. Maybe with stronger ties and fixings expansion forces can now be resisted and not cause buckling?

Likes gv3

1. What is the significance of studying thermal expansion of A-36 steel rails?

The study of thermal expansion of A-36 steel rails is important for engineers and designers in order to understand how these materials will behave under different temperature conditions. This information is crucial for the construction and maintenance of railways, as it can affect the safety and efficiency of trains.

2. What is the range of temperatures being studied for thermal expansion of A-36 steel rails?

The range of temperatures being studied is from -20F to 90F. This range covers both extreme cold and warm temperatures that these steel rails may be exposed to in different climates and seasons.

3. What factors affect the thermal expansion of A-36 steel rails?

The thermal expansion of A-36 steel rails is affected by several factors including the type and composition of the steel, the temperature range, and the length and thickness of the rails. Additionally, the surrounding environment and any external forces or stresses can also impact the thermal expansion.

4. How is thermal expansion of A-36 steel rails measured and calculated?

Thermal expansion is measured by determining the change in length of the steel rails as the temperature changes. The coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) is then calculated by dividing the change in length by the original length, the change in temperature, and the constant value of thermal expansion for A-36 steel.

5. What are the potential implications of thermal expansion on A-36 steel rails?

If the thermal expansion of A-36 steel rails is not properly accounted for, it can lead to issues such as buckling, warping, and other forms of deformation. This can cause delays in train schedules and even pose safety hazards. Understanding and accurately predicting the thermal expansion of these steel rails is crucial for maintaining the integrity of railway systems.