Thermodynamics Concept Questions | Free Energy, Heat, Entropy, Internal Energy

In summary, the free energy of a system at equilibrium at constant pressure and temperature is zero, the heat absorbed by a system at constant volume is equal to the change in internal energy, the entropy of fusion is always smaller than the entropy of vaporization, and the internal energy of a substance can be brought to zero by cooling it down to absolute zero.
wvcaudill2

Homework Statement

Hey, I was wondering if I could get some help verifying my answers for these general thermodynamics concept questions. Thanks!

1. A reversible reaction is at equilibrium at constant pressure and temperature if the free energy of the system ______________.

2. Heat absorbed by a system at constant volume is equal to ______________.

3. The entropy of fusion of a substance is always smaller than its entropy of vaporization.
True or False​

4. The internal energy of a substance can be brought to zero by cooling the substance all the way down to absolute zero (0 K).
True or False​

Homework Equations

E=q+w
q=mc[itex]\Delta[/itex]T
w=-P[itex]\Delta[/itex]T
[itex]\Delta[/itex]G=[itex]\Delta[/itex]H-T[itex]\Delta[/itex]S

The Attempt at a Solution

1. is zero
2. [itex]\Delta[/itex]E
3. True
4. True

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! I'm happy to help verify your answers for these thermodynamics questions. Here are my responses:

1. Correct! The free energy of a system at equilibrium at constant pressure and temperature is zero.
2. Great job! The heat absorbed by a system at constant volume is equal to the change in internal energy (\DeltaE).
3. Correct! The entropy of fusion is always smaller than the entropy of vaporization because it takes less energy to melt a substance than to vaporize it.
4. You are correct again! The internal energy of a substance can be brought to zero by cooling it down to absolute zero (0 K). This is because at absolute zero, all molecular motion ceases and the internal energy is zero.

What is the definition of "Thermo Concept Questions"?

"Thermo Concept Questions" refer to a set of questions that test a person's understanding of thermodynamics, which is the study of how energy is transferred and transformed in physical systems.

What topics are typically covered in "Thermo Concept Questions"?

Common topics in "Thermo Concept Questions" include the laws of thermodynamics, heat transfer, thermal equilibrium, and thermodynamic processes.

How are "Thermo Concept Questions" used in scientific research?

"Thermo Concept Questions" are often used in research to assess a scientist's understanding of thermodynamic principles and to ensure accurate data analysis and interpretation.

What is the purpose of "Thermo Concept Questions" in education?

In an educational setting, "Thermo Concept Questions" are used to test students' comprehension of thermodynamic concepts and to reinforce key principles and equations.

How can I prepare for "Thermo Concept Questions" on an exam or assessment?

To prepare for "Thermo Concept Questions," it is important to review key concepts and equations, practice solving problems, and seek clarification on any confusing topics from a teacher or peer.