1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics; Pressure and Temperature at the Nozzle inlet

1. May 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    CO2 gas enters a nozzle with an isentropic efficiency of 83% with a low velocity. It exits the nozzle at 110 kpa and 59K and 246m/s. Determine the pressure at the nozzle inlet assuming:

2. Relevant equations
    -Constant specific heats at room temperature
    -Variable specific heats

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first started by using the energy balance equation of a single stream steady flow device, and simplified it to:
    Q=m(h2-h1) + 1/2(V2^2)

The isentropic equation is ηNozzle= (T2a-T1)/(T2s-T1)

I am at a loss in finding the inlet temperature and pressure. I am not sure how i should start of solving this question and what method to use.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Anyone know what "83% isentropic efficiency" means? That 17% of the heat escapes?

4. May 7, 2012 #3
    Isentropic Efficiency= Measures the deviation of actual processes from the corresponding isentropic ones.

Thus, for a nozzle:

0.83= Actual Kinetic Energy at Nozzle Exit/ Isentropic KE at Nozzle Exit

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook