1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics Problem

1. Feb 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When 1380 J of heat are added to one mole of an ideal monatomic gas, its temperature increases from 272 K to 275 K. Find the work done by the gas during this process.

2. Relevant equations

I assume [tex]\Delta[/tex]U = Q - W is the formula to use. But for some reason I'm just confused.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using 1380 = 275 - W, and got -1105. But that is not the correct answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you relate [itex]\Delta U[/itex] to [itex]\Delta T[/itex]?

4. Feb 6, 2009 #3
    That's the problem, I don't understand how they relate. Is there a conversion from Kelvin to Joules? Or do I just use 3K = 1380J - W?

5. Feb 6, 2009 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check your book, notes, or reference for an equation of the internal energy (U) of an ideal gas.

6. Feb 6, 2009 #5
    Internal energy increases with increasing temperature, but the exact relation will depend on the type of gas. You should figure out how many degrees of freedom are present in a monatomic gas, then use equipartition of energy to express the internal energy as a function of temperature.

7. Feb 7, 2009 #6

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are given Q and you can determine [itex]\Delta U = nC_v\Delta T[/itex]. So it is just a matter of applying the first law to determine W.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook