Thermodynamics - Pure substance problem

In summary: Overall, it would be helpful to know the specific heat capacity and the specific gas constant for R-134a to proceed with the calculations. In summary, the problem involves a spring loaded piston-cylinder device filled with an R-134a liquid-vapor mixture. The spring constant, piston diameter, and process information are given, and the goal is to calculate the final temperature and enthalpy of the R-134a. To do this, the specific volume of the R-134a at the final state must be determined using the initial specific volume, initial temperature, and the ratio of final to initial volumes. This can then be used to look up the enthalpy and temperature in the thermodynamic tables. However, the process may
Xyius
Hey everyone, I am doing a problem and I am on the "Properties of Pure substances" chapter of the book. These problems basically involve going to lookup tables and reading the values to use in the problem, so I am hoping I can still get some help even though you might not have the thermodynamic tables to look up. :\

Homework Statement

A spring loaded piston-cylinder device is initially filled with 0.2 lbm of an R-134a liquid-vapor mixture whose temperature is -30 degrees Fahrenheit and whose quality is 80%. The spring constant in the spring force relation F=ks is 37 lbf/in, and the piston diameter is 12 inches. The R-134a undergoes a process that increases its volume by 40%. Calculate the final temperature and enthalpy of the R-134a.

Homework Equations

[tex]Quality=x=\frac{m_{vapor}}{m_{total}}[/tex]
[tex]v_{avg}=v_{f}+xv_{fg}[/tex]

[tex]m=mass[/tex]
[tex]v=specific volume[/tex]
[tex]v_{g}=Specific volume of the gas[/tex]
[tex]v_{f}=Specific volume of the fluid[/tex]
[tex]v_{fg}=v_{g}-v_{f}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I am not given the mass of the piston I am assuming I can ignore the weight of it. (I do not know if this is valid or not.) Summing the forces in the y direction I get...

[tex]\sum F_{y}=0=ks-PA[/tex]

[tex]ks=PA[/tex]
[tex]s=\frac{PA}{k}=\frac{9.869(\pi (0.5^2))}{37(12)}=0.017ft[/tex]
NOTE: I had to go to the thermodynamic tables and look under -30 degrees F in "Saturated R-134a" to obtain the saturation pressure of 9.869 psia. I also converted 37 lbf/in to lbf/ft and the 6 inch radius to 0.5 ft.

I do not know what this represents though, or if it helps at all with the problem. I am guessing that this is the distance from the springs equilibrium point.

Another thing I can do is find the mass of the gas and liquid using the definition of quality (x). I get 0.16lbm for the gas and 0.04lbm for the liquid. Again, not sure what good this does me either.

Somehow I believe I need to get to the specific volume of state 2 after it has expanded 40%, and then look this value up in the tables.

Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks. A:You are on the right track. You have already calculated the displacement of the piston from the force equilibrium equation, so you know how much the volume has increased. You can use this to calculate the final specific volume $v_2$ for the R-134a by $$v_2 = v_1 \left( \frac{V_2}{V_1} \right)$$where $v_1$ is the initial specific volume and $V_2/V_1$ is the ratio of the final to initial volumes. You can use the quality x to calculate the initial specific volume of the R-134a as $$v_1=v_f + x v_{fg}$$where $v_f$ and $v_{fg}$ are the specific volumes of saturated liquid and saturated vapor respectively at the initial temperature. Now you have the specific volume $v_2$ and the initial temperature of the R-134a -30°F. You can use the thermodynamic tables to look up the enthalpy and temperature at the new specific volume.This approach should work for a reversible process but in this case it seems like the process is irreversible because the spring is providing work. In that case, I'm not sure what the best approach would be.

1. What is a pure substance in thermodynamics?

A pure substance in thermodynamics refers to a material that has a constant chemical composition and physical properties throughout. This means that it is made up of only one type of molecule or atom, and there are no impurities or variations in its composition. Examples of pure substances include water, oxygen, and carbon dioxide.

2. What is the difference between a pure substance and a mixture in thermodynamics?

A mixture in thermodynamics refers to a material that is made up of more than one type of molecule or atom. This means that it can have varying compositions and physical properties in different parts of the mixture. In contrast, a pure substance has a constant composition and properties throughout. An example of a mixture is air, which is made up of various gases such as nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide.

3. What is the significance of studying pure substances in thermodynamics?

Studying pure substances in thermodynamics allows us to understand and predict the behavior of materials under different conditions. This is because pure substances follow specific laws and relationships, which can be used to determine their properties and how they will change in different environments. Additionally, many real-world systems can be approximated as pure substances, making the study of pure substances in thermodynamics essential for practical applications.

4. How do we measure the properties of pure substances in thermodynamics?

The properties of pure substances in thermodynamics can be measured through various experimental techniques, such as pressure-volume-temperature (PVT) measurements, calorimetry, and thermodynamic equations. These measurements allow us to determine properties such as temperature, pressure, volume, and energy, which are crucial in understanding the behavior of pure substances.

5. What are the different phases of pure substances in thermodynamics?

Pure substances can exist in three different phases: solid, liquid, and gas. The phase of a pure substance depends on its temperature and pressure, with different phases having different properties. For example, at low temperatures and high pressures, a substance will be in its solid phase, while at high temperatures and low pressures, it will be in its gaseous phase. Understanding the different phases of pure substances is crucial in thermodynamics as it helps us predict and explain their behavior under different conditions.