[Thermodynamics] Temperature change during cooling of a gas

In summary, the conversation discusses two methods for cooling a gas: adiabatic throttling and reversible adiabatic expansion. The question at hand is to show that if the initial and final pressures are the same, the difference in temperature obtained by the second method is always higher. The conversation also touches on relevant equations and relations, such as the Maxwell relations and the expressions for expansivity, isothermal compressibility, and specific heat. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the initial and final pressures and the potential for misinterpretation of the question.
mef51

Homework Statement

One method for cooling a gas is adiabatic throttling (Joule-Thomson Experiment). Another method is a reversible adiabatic expansion. Show that if the initial and final pressures are the same, the difference in temperature obtained by the second method is always higher.
Hint: Express ##\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}## in each process as a function of the expansivity ##\beta##, the isothermal compressibility ##\kappa## and ##c_P## and compare the results.

Homework Equations

The question has to do with thermodynamic potentials.
$$
\beta=\frac{1}{V}\Big(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\Big)_{P} \\
\kappa=-\frac{1}{V}\Big(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}\Big)_{T} \\
c_{P}=\frac{T}{n}\Big(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\Big)_{P}
$$
Cyclic Relation:
$$\Big(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}\Big)_{S}\Big(\frac{\partial P}{\partial S}\Big)_{T}\Big(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\Big)_{P}=-1$$
Reciprocal Relation
$$
\Big(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\Big)_{z}=\Big(\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\Big)_{z}^{-1}
$$

The temperature is a function of ##S## and ##P## so
$$T(P,S) \implies dT=\Big(\frac{\partial T}{\partial S}\Big)_{P}dS+\Big(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}\Big)_{S}dP$$

The Maxwell Relations are also relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the cyclic and reciprocal relation and the definitions of ##\beta##, ##\kappa## and ##c_P## I can get that, for the second process
$$
\Big(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}\Big)_{S}=\frac{\beta VT}{nc_{p}}
$$
To get the change in temperature I integrate the differential. Since the second process is reversible ##dS=0## so
$$
\Delta T=T_{f}-T_{i}=\int_{P_{i}}^{P_{f}}\Big(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}\Big)_{S}dP
$$
But since the final and initial pressures are the same this change in temperature is always 0! How can it ever be greater than the temperature difference in the first method? What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
mef51 said:

Homework Statement

One method for cooling a gas is adiabatic throttling (Joule-Thomson Experiment). Another method is a reversible adiabatic expansion. Show that if the initial and final pressures are the same

Let's insert, "for both processes," right in here, and see how it works.

mef51 said:
the difference in temperature obtained by the second method is always higher.
(snip)What am I missing here?

Hm okay well for adiabatic throttling I know that the Joule-Thomson coefficient ##\mu## is positive when a gas is cooling so we know that ##\mu \equiv \Big( \frac{\partial T}{\partial P} \Big)_H > 0##.

Using the fact that the adiabatic throttling is a constant-enthalpy process you can show that
$$
\Big(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}\Big)_{H}=\frac{V}{nc_{p}}(\beta T-1)=\frac{\beta VT}{nc_{p}}-\frac{V}{nc_{p}}
$$
I notice that ##\Big(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}\Big)_{S}## is related to this expression and we have
$$
\Big(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}\Big)_{H}=\Big(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}\Big)_{S}-\frac{V}{nc_{p}}
$$

But even with this if I go to do the integral to find ##\Delta T## I still get zero because the final and initial pressure's are the same... ##dP=0##!

Since ##\frac{V}{nc_p}## is positive I can see that
$$
\Big(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}\Big)_{S}>\Big(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}\Big)_{S}-\frac{V}{nc_{p}}=\Big(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}\Big)_{H}=\mu>0
$$

But I don't understand how that would imply the temperature difference being greater. They both seem to be 0

Last edited:
mef51 said:
But even with this if I go to do the integral to find ##\Delta T## I still get zero because the final and initial pressure's are the same... ##dP=0##!
The intial pressure is the same for both processes, the final temperature is the same for both processes, but the initial temperature is not the same as the final temperature.

DrClaude said:
The intial pressure is the same for both processes
The initial and the final pressures are the same.

DrClaude said:
the final temperature is the same for both processes, but the initial temperature is not the same as the final temperature.
How do you know that? I could equivalently say that the initial temperatures are the same for both processes and the final temperatures are different. Further, it's not even necessary that any of the temperatures are the same. We just want to show that cooling by the second method gives a larger temperature difference than the first method. (EDIT: misread). I know that the initial and final temperatures must be different which is why I'm confused that the integral that gives ##\Delta T## gives 0

Last edited:
mef51 said:
How do you know that?
Because you can neither have adiabatic expansion nor throttling at constant pressure. You are misunderstanding the problem, as Bystander also tried to tell you.

So the pressure starts and ends at the same point but changes in between?

mef51 said:
Show that if the initial and final pressures are the same, the difference in temperature obtained by the second method is always higher.

Last edited:
How can you do a reversible adiabatic expansion of a gas if the initial and final pressures are the same? How can you throttle a gas adiabatically if the initial and final pressures are the same?:confused:

Chet

I dunno! On a PV diagram an adiabat with constant pressure doesn't really make sense either.
Let's say that we don't have this condition that the initial and final pressures are the same. Then we'd have that the temperature difference for each method is
$$
\newcommand{\pderv}[3]{\Big(\frac{\partial#1}{\partial#2}\Big)_{#3}}
\Delta T_{1}=\int_{P_{i}}^{P_{f}}\pderv TPHdP\qquad\Delta T_{2}=\int_{P_{i}}^{P_{f}}\pderv TPSdP
$$
which means, since ##\pderv TPS>\pderv TPH##
$$\Delta T_{2}>\Delta T_{1}$$

I checked that I didn't copy the question down wrong. Maybe it's a typo

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Indeed

mef51 said:
I checked that I didn't copy the question down wrong. Maybe it's a typo
It's not a typo. I've been guilty myself of writing questions with that kind of formulation (in exams, no less). What happens is that the meaning of "the initial and final pressures are the same" is evident in the mind of the person writing the question, to the point of not realizing it can be misconstrued.

Ohh haha the lightbulb just clicked.
Perhaps the unambiguous way of phrasing it would be
"Show that if both processes start at an initial pressure ##P_i## and end at a final pressure ##P_f##, then the difference in temperature obtained by the second method is always higher."

mef51 said:
Ohh haha the lightbulb just clicked.
Perhaps the unambiguous way of phrasing it would be
"Show that if both processes start at an initial pressure ##P_i## and end at a final pressure ##P_f##, then the difference in temperature obtained by the second method is always higher."
Yes. That would have been much, much, much, much better. The original version confused lots of us.

Chet

1. How does temperature change during the cooling of a gas?

During the cooling of a gas, the temperature decreases. This is due to the decrease in the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules, which is directly related to temperature.

2. What factors affect the temperature change during cooling of a gas?

The temperature change during cooling of a gas is affected by the initial temperature of the gas, the amount of cooling time, and the heat capacity of the gas. These factors all impact the rate at which the gas cools down.

3. Can the temperature of a gas remain constant during cooling?

No, the temperature of a gas cannot remain constant during cooling. As the gas loses heat and its molecules slow down, the temperature will inevitably decrease.

4. What is the relationship between temperature and pressure during the cooling of a gas?

According to the ideal gas law, the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. Therefore, as the temperature of a gas decreases during cooling, the pressure will also decrease.

5. Why does the temperature change during cooling of a gas have practical applications?

The temperature change during cooling of a gas has many practical applications, such as refrigeration and air conditioning systems. These systems use the cooling of gases to regulate and lower temperatures in various environments.