Understanding Drag Forces and Coefficients: Thermofluids Lab Help

In summary, the lab is investigating the drag forces on a model car using pitot tubes to measure the pressure drops. Based on the equation cd= Fd/ 1/2 ρ v^2 A, it can be concluded that the drag coefficient is not affected by changes in velocity, as both Fd and 1/2 ρ v^2 A are proportional to the velocity squared. This is also true for the Reynolds number, which is a function of velocity. Therefore, the data suggests that an increase in velocity does not affect the drag coefficient. Additionally, since the Reynolds number is greater than 4000, it can be inferred that the flow is turbulent.
Edward Trail
<< Mentor Note: Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Template is used >>

hey guys

As the title suggests i need a little help with my results from my thermofluids lab, i am trying to come to a conclusion about two of my graphs which are attached.

The lab is looking at measuring the drag forces involved with a model car using pitot tubes to measure the pressure drops.

my understanding is that because Fd(total drag force) is proportional to V^2 then the drag coefficient is not affected due to the equation cd= Fd/ 1/2 ρ v^2 A . as the fd and v^2 cancel each other out? am i correct in this ? am i right in say " the graph shows that an increase in the velocity does not affect the drag coefficient" ? and the same with Reynolds number?

If i am completely wrong let me know

Attachments

• Thermo Drag coefficient Lab.xlsx
    18.8 KB · Views: 234
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edward Trail said:
<< Mentor Note: Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Template is used >>

hey guys

As the title suggests i need a little help with my results from my thermofluids lab, i am trying to come to a conclusion about two of my graphs which are attached.

The lab is looking at measuring the drag forces involved with a model car using pitot tubes to measure the pressure drops.

my understanding is that because Fd(total drag force) is proportional to V^2 then the drag coefficient is not affected due to the equation cd= Fd/ 1/2 ρ v^2 A . as the fd and v^2 cancel each other out? am i correct in this ? am i right in say " the graph shows that an increase in the velocity does not affect the drag coefficient" ? and the same with Reynolds number?

If i am completely wrong let me know
That sounds about right to me. :smile:

Be careful how you word it though. It's not that [itex] F_d [/itex] and [itex] V^2[/itex] "cancel each other out." Instead, I would phrase it as a the measured aerodynamic forces and [itex] \frac{1}{2} \rho V^2 A [/itex] are both proportional to the the velocity squared, and thus both proportional to each other.

Given that, what can you say about the flow in terms of it being laminar flow vs. turbulent flow? :wink:

By the way, in one of your excel graphs, you have velocity, U, having units of "m/s^2." Those are units of acceleration, not velocity.

hi mark

Thank you for the response, I am still a little unsure to be honest. is it not just fd and v^2 that are proportional therefore the velocity has no affect on drag coefficient? and the same with Reynolds as my understanding is because Reynolds is a function of velocity and we know velocity does not affect the coefficient of drag neither does the Reynolds number is this correct?

im being asked to explain each graph what why and how, I am struggling with the why and how.

In regards to the flow it seams to be very turbulent due to the Reynolds number being greater than 4000.

Ahhh thanks for that, not sure why I put that to be honest.

Likes collinsmark
Edward Trail said:
hi mark

Thank you for the response, I am still a little unsure to be honest. is it not just fd and v^2 that are proportional therefore the velocity has no affect on drag coefficient? and the same with Reynolds as my understanding is because Reynolds is a function of velocity and we know velocity does not affect the coefficient of drag neither does the Reynolds number is this correct?

im being asked to explain each graph what why and how, I am struggling with the why and how.

In regards to the flow it seams to be very turbulent due to the Reynolds number being greater than 4000.

Ahhh thanks for that, not sure why I put that to be honest.
Yes, your wording looks correct to me. :smile:

Assuming turbulent flow, the drag coefficient is the ratio of [itex] F_d [/itex] and [itex] \frac{1}{2} \rho V^2 A. [/itex] But since both [itex] F_d [/itex] and [itex] \frac{1}{2} \rho V^2 A [/itex] both scale (approximately*) with [itex] V^2 [/itex], the ratio -- and thus the drag coefficient -- remain (approximately*) constant, and not a function of velocity.

And, as you said (and as you put it in your own words), the same goes for drag coefficient vs Reynolds number.

*(For reasons that are probably outside the scope of your coursework, the drag coefficient can vary slightly with velocity due to different "boundary layer" properties [for example, if the model car went supersonic]. But but your data does not have extreme enough data points, such that this matters. So you can just treat the drag coefficient as a constant over the range of velocities which you measured.)

Last edited:

1. What is drag force?

Drag force is a force that acts on an object as it moves through a fluid (such as air or water). It is caused by the friction and pressure differences between the object and the fluid, and it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

2. How is drag force calculated?

The drag force on an object can be calculated using the equation FD = ½ρv2CDA, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the object, CD is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

3. What is a drag coefficient?

A drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the level of drag force experienced by an object in a fluid. It is influenced by factors such as the shape and surface roughness of the object, and it is used in calculations to determine the drag force on an object.

4. How does the drag coefficient affect drag force?

The drag coefficient has a significant impact on the magnitude of the drag force experienced by an object. A higher drag coefficient means that the object will experience a greater drag force, while a lower drag coefficient means that the object will experience less drag force.

5. How can drag coefficients be determined experimentally?

Drag coefficients can be determined experimentally by conducting tests in a controlled environment, such as a wind tunnel or water tank. These tests involve measuring the forces acting on an object at various velocities and using the data to calculate the drag coefficient.