Thevenin voltage and impedance

In summary: That's correct.In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximum power on an impedance Z, with given values for Thevenin impedance and voltage. The student initially calculated the power to be 32 sqrt(2), but after discussing the maximum power theorem for complex impedance, they realized they needed to take into account the imaginary part of the load impedance. This led to the correct answer of P=64.
crom1

Homework Statement

Find the maximum power on a impedance Z.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got as Thevenin impedance Zt=4+j4 and Ut= 32 V, but since my solution for power is wrong, something is wrong with either impedance or voltage (or both).
If point A is above Z, and point B is under Z, looking from A to B I get for impedance:
First j4 , then since I have current source in of the branches, I ignore impedances in that branch and get j4+(j4-j4+4) and since there is voltage source I ignore 2-j12.
For Thevenin voltage, I tried with superposition, and if potential of B=0, I get that for A:
$$ \varphi_A= 16 \angle 0 + 4 \angle 0 \cdot 4 + 4 \angle 0 \cdot j4 + 4 \angle 0 \cdot (-j4)=32 $$

Attachments

• zadatak.png
    zadatak.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
Your Thevenin values look okay. How did you calculate the maximum power?

Likes crom1
I=Ut/(Z+Zt)=2-j2 , P=I^2 Z = 32-32i = 32 sqrt(2) , And the solution says 64.

What value did you give to the load impedance Z?

Likes crom1
Z=Zt=4+j4

crom1 said:
Z=Zt=4+j4

Check the maximum power theorem for complex impedance. I think you'll find that the imaginary part of the load should nullify the source impedance's imaginary component.

Likes crom1
You're right. I now get P=64-j64, do I now just take real part to get P=64?

crom1 said:
You're right. I now get P=64-j64, do I now just take real part to get P=64?
Yup.

Likes crom1

Related to Thevenin voltage and impedance

What is Thevenin voltage and impedance?

Thevenin voltage and impedance are two important electrical concepts used to simplify complex circuits into equivalent circuits that are easier to analyze. Thevenin voltage is the voltage that would be measured across two points in a circuit if all other components were removed, while Thevenin impedance is the equivalent resistance that would be seen between those two points.

How is Thevenin voltage and impedance calculated?

Thevenin voltage can be calculated by finding the open circuit voltage across the two points of interest. Thevenin impedance can be calculated by finding the equivalent resistance of the circuit between those two points when all voltage sources are replaced with short circuits and all current sources are replaced with open circuits.

Why are Thevenin voltage and impedance important?

Thevenin voltage and impedance are important because they allow us to analyze complex circuits in a simpler way. They provide a way to model the behavior of a circuit without having to consider all the individual components and their interactions. This simplification makes it easier to design and troubleshoot circuits.

What is Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem states that any linear circuit with voltage sources and resistors can be replaced by an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source (Thevenin voltage) and a single resistor (Thevenin impedance) in series. This equivalent circuit will produce the same current and voltage across the load as the original circuit.

How is Thevenin's theorem applied in practical situations?

Thevenin's theorem is commonly used in circuit analysis and design. It allows engineers to simplify complex circuits and determine the behavior of a circuit without having to physically test it. This can save time and resources in the design process. Thevenin's theorem is also useful in troubleshooting circuits, as it allows engineers to isolate and test different sections of a circuit separately.