Thin rod standing upright tips over

• Thread starter cler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod Tips
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the angular velocity of a uniform thin rod when it hits a fixed end after being given a small kick. The conversation includes equations and attempts at a solution using conservation of energy and the kinetic energy of a rigid body rotating around a fixed axis. It is pointed out that the rod is not a single point mass but is made up of infinite "dm" at different heights from the table. The correct method for calculating the kinetic energy is also clarified.
cler

Homework Statement

A uniform thin rod of mass m and length l is standing upright on a table, then given a tiny kick so it tips over. The lower end is fixed. Find angular velocity when it hits the table.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I applied conservation of energy.
Ei=Ef (1)
Ei=mgl/2
Ef=1/2mvcm2 +1/2Iω2
where vcm is the linear velocity of the CM and ω is the angular velocity of the rod when it hits the floor. vcm=ωl/2
For a thin rod that rotates about one end
I=ml2/3
So substituting in equation (1) i get
mgl/2=1/2(ωl/2)2 + 1/6m(lω)2
which leads to
ω2=12/7g/l

But i 've checked the answer and it turns out is ω2=3g/l

where am i wrong?
thanks in advance for your help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not a single point of mass at the centre.
It is made up of infinite "dm" at different height from the table.

The kinetic energy of a rigid body rotating around a fixed axis is simply 0.5 Iω2, where I is the moment of inertia with respect to the axis.

You can also calculate the KE of a rigid body moving in plane as the KE of the CM + energy of rotation around the CM. In this case, you have to use the moment of inertia with respect to the CM.

You mixed the two methods. As the bottom end of the rod is fixed you can consider it a fixed axis.

ehild

azizlwl said:
It is not a single point of mass at the centre.
It is made up of infinite "dm" at different height from the table.

Ok, but basically what i do is saying that the energy at the beginning Ei is potential energy due to gravity. Then when the rod hits the table potential energy equals zero, so i only have kinetic energy which is a sum of translational and rotational energy. which is the translation of the center of mass plus the rotational energy of the body.

ehild said:
The kinetic energy of a rigid body rotating around a fixed axis is simply 0.5 Iω2, where I is the moment of inertia with respect to the axis.

You can also calculate the KE of a rigid body moving in plane as the KE of the CM + energy of rotation around the CM. In this case, you have to use the moment of inertia with respect to the CM.

You mixed the two methods. As the bottom end of the rod is fixed you can consider it a fixed axis.

ehild

Ok, now i get it. Thank you very much!

1. What is the thin rod standing upright phenomenon?

The thin rod standing upright phenomenon is a common physics experiment where a thin rod is balanced in a vertical position and then suddenly tips over without any apparent external force.

2. What causes the thin rod to tip over?

The main cause of the thin rod tipping over is due to the center of mass of the rod being located above the pivot point. This creates an unstable equilibrium, causing the rod to eventually tip over due to the force of gravity.

3. Can the thin rod standing upright be explained by physics?

Yes, the thin rod standing upright can be explained by the principles of physics, specifically the concepts of center of mass, equilibrium, and gravity. This phenomenon is a result of the laws of physics at work.

4. What can the thin rod standing upright experiment teach us?

The thin rod standing upright experiment can teach us about the principles of physics, such as center of mass and equilibrium. It can also demonstrate how small changes in the location of the center of mass can have a significant impact on the stability of an object.

5. Can the thin rod standing upright phenomenon be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the thin rod standing upright phenomenon can be applied to real-life situations, such as understanding the stability of structures and objects. It can also be used to explain the behavior of objects in motion or at rest, and how external forces can affect their equilibrium.