1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This is ! How do I solve the nodes and antinodes for this problem?

1. Nov 20, 2012 #1
    HELP!! This is URGENT! How do I solve the nodes and antinodes for this problem??

41.png

For nodes, I tried doing λ = 2L/n but it's not giving me the answers they got... please help!!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2012 #2
    Re: This is URGENT! How do I solve the nodes and antinodes for this problem??

Okay so check this diagram out
    http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/waves/h3.gif
    Thats a 3rd harmonic...
    So you've got 4 nodes where the string is not moving at all, and 3 antinodes of maximum displacement.
    Its fixed at each end, so 0m and 9m must be nodes! They cant move if there being held there. So youve got 2 in between , they must be equally spaced so theyve gotta be at 3m and 6m. (Maths way to do this is length/harmonic = 9/3 = 3, gotta be spaced 3m apart)
    You know that the antinodes must be halfway between these nodes, so they have to be at 1.5, 4.5 and 7.5! This is length/2*harmonic.

For the frequency...
    velocity = root(tension/(mass/length))
    and then to get the frequency this must be divided by twice the length :)
    Hope you understood all that!!

4. Nov 20, 2012 #3
    Re: This is URGENT! How do I solve the nodes and antinodes for this problem??

sorry thats v = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{T}{M/L}}[/itex]

so

f = [itex]\frac{\sqrt{\frac{T}{M/L}}}{2L}[/itex]

5. Nov 20, 2012 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

Re: HELP!! This is URGENT! How do I solve the nodes and antinodes for this problem??

That equation gives you the correct answer, but you then interpreted incorrectly.

The modes of vibration of a string represent STANDING WAVES on the string. The wavelength of a standing wave is 1/2 the wavelength of the travelling wave "causing" the standing wave.

Your formula gives λ = 6m. That is the travelling wave λ

So the wavelength of the standing wave is 3m

The first node is at the fixed end where you start. The next ones are every 3 m from there - until you have reached the other end.

The anti-nodes are halfway between each of those nodes

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook