This is very hard i dont know how to start, please guide

• Thread starter eqreal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the problem involves a light inextensible string attached to two fixed points A and B, with a particle of mass 0.2 kg attached to the string at point P. The string is in equilibrium with a small smooth peg fixed at point Q, and the tensions in the three parts of the string (AP, PQ, and QB) are equal. The value of this tension can be found using the fact that the horizontal and vertical components of all the forces must cancel. After the peg is removed, a particle of unknown mass m kg is attached to the string at the midpoint M of PB, and the system is in equilibrium with PM horizontal and AP and MB inclined at angles β and γ respectively. The values of β
eqreal

Homework Statement

(Take g = 10 m/s2 in this question.) The ends of a light inextensible string, of length 0.7 m, are attached to two fixed points A and B at the same horizontal level, where AQ = 0.4 m and QB = 0.1 m. A particle of mass 0.2 kg is attached to the string at the point P, where AP = PB = 0.3 m. The particle hangs in equilibrium, with the string passing over a small smooth peg fixed at the point Q in the horizontal line between A and B at a distance of 0.1 m from B, as shown below. Give three reasons why the tensions in the three parts, AP, PQ, and QB, of the string have the same value, and find this value. Also, determine the angle between QA and the force exerted on the string by the peg. Refer figure below:

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad39/eqreal87/?action=view&current=DSC01488.jpg

The peg is now removed and a particle of mass m kg is attached to the string at the midpoint M of PB. The system hangs in equilibrium with PM horizontal, and AP and MB inclined to the horizontal at angles β and γ respectively, where cos β = 7/9 and cos γ = 1/3, as shown in the figure below. Calculate m

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad39/eqreal87/?action=view&current=DSC01486.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stucked and I have no idea on how to start, can anyone please kindly guide me on this? I'll truly appreciate and thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact that both the horizontal and the vertical components of all the forces on the various weights must cancel.
Check if you have copied the problem correctly. In the third line AP = PQ = 0.3m must have been meant.

the question is correct though. Sigh :(

1. How do I approach a difficult problem?

The first step is to break down the problem into smaller, manageable tasks. Then, prioritize and tackle each task one at a time. It's also helpful to consult with colleagues or do research for potential solutions.

2. What if I don't know where to start?

If you're feeling overwhelmed, take a step back and try to gain a better understanding of the problem. Once you have a clearer idea, start by identifying the most important aspects and work from there.

3. How can I stay motivated when facing a challenging task?

Setting small, achievable goals and rewarding yourself when you accomplish them can help keep you motivated. It's also important to take breaks and not push yourself too hard. Remember to stay positive and remind yourself of why this task is important.

4. What resources can I use to guide me in solving this problem?

There are various resources available, such as books, articles, online forums, and colleagues with expertise in the subject. Don't be afraid to ask for help or seek guidance from others who may have faced similar challenges.

5. Is it okay to ask for help when I am struggling with a difficult problem?

Yes, it's absolutely okay to ask for help. In fact, seeking assistance can often lead to new insights and perspectives that can help you overcome the challenge. Don't be afraid to reach out to others for support.