This should be my last one

• Thread starter physics newb
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two blocks in contact on a frictionless table and the magnitude of force between them. It also explores the difference in magnitude when the force is applied to the smaller block in the opposite direction. The concept of F=ma is mentioned as a factor in determining the force between the blocks.
physics newb
OK, this should be my last question. Again, I need an answer soon, but I'm also here to learn.

Two Blocks are in contact on a frictionless table, one larger than the other. A horizontal force is applied to the larger block, pushing against the smaller block. (a) If m_A = 2.3 kg (the larger block), m_B = 1.2 kg (the smaller block), and F = 3.2 N, find the magnitude of the force between the two blocks. (b) Show that if a force of the same magnitude F is applied to the smaller block but in the opposite direction, the magnitude of the force between the blocks is 2.1 N, which is not the same value calculated in (a). (c) Explain the difference. I'm not quite sure what to do with the information given, so again, any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
One has enough information.

Since the blocks are in contact, the applied for F acts on the mass of both (both must be accelerating), BUT, the force acting on (transmitted to) the larger block by the smaller block is less than the force that the larger block would apply to the smaller block - because . . . (what does mass do?)

Think F = ma.

(a) To find the magnitude of the force between the two blocks, we can use Newton's Second Law, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration (F=ma). In this case, the acceleration of the blocks will be the same since they are in contact and on a frictionless surface. Therefore, we can set up the following equation: F = (m_A + m_B)a. Rearranging for a, we get a = F/(m_A + m_B). Plugging in the given values, we get a = 3.2 N/(2.3 kg + 1.2 kg) = 1 m/s^2. Now, using this acceleration value, we can find the force between the blocks by using F = ma again. So, the magnitude of the force between the two blocks is F = (m_B)a = (1.2 kg)(1 m/s^2) = 1.2 N.

(b) In this case, the force is applied to the smaller block in the opposite direction. This means that the smaller block will accelerate in the opposite direction, while the larger block will still accelerate in the original direction. This results in a net force between the blocks that is equal to the difference of the two individual forces, which is 3.2 N - 1.2 N = 2 N. However, this is not the same as the force calculated in part (a) because the two blocks have different accelerations and therefore the force between them will be different.

(c) The difference in the magnitude of the force between the blocks is due to the difference in their masses and accelerations. In part (a), the larger block has a greater mass, so it requires a greater force to accelerate it at the same rate as the smaller block. In part (b), the force is being applied to the smaller block, so it will experience a greater acceleration and therefore a greater force between the blocks. This highlights the importance of considering all factors, such as mass and acceleration, when calculating forces in a system.

1. What does "This should be my last one" mean?

It means that this will be the final item or action in a series or sequence.

2. Why would someone say "This should be my last one"?

Someone might say this to indicate that they are finishing a task or project, or that they have reached a limit or goal.

3. Is "This should be my last one" a common phrase?

Yes, it is a commonly used phrase in everyday conversation and can be used in various contexts.

4. Can "This should be my last one" also be used in a negative context?

Yes, it can be used in a negative context to express frustration or disappointment that something is not the final one as expected.

5. How can "This should be my last one" be interpreted in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, this phrase could refer to the final experiment or trial in a series of experiments, or the last step in a research project.