Thread design for tubular members

In summary, the speaker is new to a forum and is seeking help with the design of a tubular member. They are looking for resources to design a buttress thread to withstand a cyclic axial load of 157 kN. The member needs to be fastened to an outer structure and the maximum threaded length is 250mm. The speaker is open to using stainless steel for the material. They also mention trying CAD software, hand-calculations, ANSYS, and checking libraries for resources.
Kuda
Hi people
new to this forum but i need some help on my thread design. I've been browsing the net for some time to try and find some help on the design of this but have not found much.

My problem is i have a tubular member of 250mm outer and 100mm inner diameters that is subjected to an axial load of around 157 kN, this load is cyclic and occurs in only one direction so i figured a buttress thread is probs the best selection. This member needs to be fastened to an outer structure but i am having trouble finding the resources needed to design such a thread. The maximum threaded length is about 250mm and i am looking at stainless steels but materials is not really my major concern at this time.

Any help will be appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried analyzing any designs using CAD software, hand-calculations, ANSYS, etc?

If you can't find any resources I would just try to analyze the bolts' cross-section by hand and find the stresses on the teeth of the thread. Have you checked any libraries for books on thread types?

1. What is the purpose of thread design for tubular members?

The purpose of thread design for tubular members is to create a secure and efficient connection between two tubular members. This allows for the transfer of force and load between the members, making them stronger and more stable.

2. How do you determine the appropriate thread design for a specific application?

The appropriate thread design for a specific application depends on several factors such as the type of material being used, the amount of load and force expected to be transferred, and the environment in which the tubular members will be operating. Consulting with an engineer or using specialized software can help determine the best thread design for a particular application.

3. What are the common types of threads used for tubular members?

The most common types of threads used for tubular members are buttress threads, API threads, and Premium threads. Buttress threads are used for heavy loads and high stress applications, while API threads are used for general purpose connections. Premium threads are more advanced and provide better sealing and load bearing capabilities.

4. What factors should be considered when designing threads for tubular members?

When designing threads for tubular members, factors such as thread engagement, thread pitch, and thread profile should be carefully considered. The thread engagement refers to the number of threads that are in contact between two members. The thread pitch is the distance between each thread. The thread profile determines the shape of the threads and can impact the strength and sealing capabilities of the connection.

5. How can thread failures be prevented in tubular members?

To prevent thread failures in tubular members, it is important to use high-quality materials and accurately design the threads to withstand the expected load and stress. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help detect any potential issues before they lead to failure. In addition, following proper installation and torque procedures is crucial to ensuring the threads are properly engaged and secured.