Three forces, one graph, one crazy problem

In summary, to find the third force needed for equilibrium, the magnitude must be equal to the magnitude of F1 and the direction must be 30 degrees to the right of the +y axis. This can be found by setting F1y equal to F3y and setting the sum of F1x and F3x equal to F2.
Phoenixtears

Homework Statement

Three forces are applied to an object, as indicated in the drawing. Force 1 has a magnitude of 33.0 Newtons (33.0 N) and is directed 30.0° to the left of the +y axis. Force 2 has a magnitude of 21.0 N and points along the +x axis. What must be the magnitude and direction (specified by the angle in the drawing) of the third force 3 such that the vector sum of the three forces is 0 N?
(Image attached)
magnitude N
theta °

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I have made the entire table involving the magnitudes, directions, Fx, and Fy of the three forces plus the totals overall. Earlier in class we worked a little bit on vector sums, but now I realize that I don't know whether or not the vector sum involves the Fx or Fy. I've attempted to add the bits together (I figured out the Fx and Fy's by using cosine and sine) for instance, for F1 the Fy force is 28.6 and the F2 Fy force is 0. However, the answer is not 28.6. What am I doing incorrectly?

Thanks,
Phoenix

Attachments

• Force Graph.gif
    Force Graph.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 605
Physics news on Phys.org
For equilibrium F1y = F3y and F1x + F3x = F2
From these two equations you can find F3 and the angle.

Hi Phoenix,

First of all, great job on setting up the table and using the correct equations to solve for the forces. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concepts involved in this problem.

To answer your question about the vector sum, it is important to understand that the vector sum includes both the Fx and Fy components. This is because forces are vectors and have both magnitude and direction. So when we add forces, we are adding both the magnitude and direction of each force.

In this problem, you will need to use trigonometry to find the Fx and Fy components of the third force (F3). Then, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of F3, and inverse trigonometric functions to find the direction (angle) of F3.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work!

1. What are the three forces in "Three forces, one graph, one crazy problem"?

The three forces refer to the three fundamental forces in physics: gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. These forces govern the interactions between particles in the universe.

2. What does the graph represent in "Three forces, one graph, one crazy problem"?

The graph represents the relationship between the three forces and their strength at different distances. This is known as the force-distance graph and is an important tool in understanding the behavior of these forces.

3. What is the "crazy problem" in "Three forces, one graph, one crazy problem"?

The "crazy problem" refers to a hypothetical scenario where the three forces are all acting on an object at the same time. This is a challenging problem to solve because each force has a different strength and direction, making it difficult to predict the object's motion.

4. How are the three forces related to each other?

The three forces are related through the fundamental laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation. These laws describe how the forces interact with each other and determine the motion of objects in the universe.

5. What is the significance of "Three forces, one graph, one crazy problem" in the field of physics?

This phrase highlights the complexity and interconnectedness of the fundamental forces in the universe. It also emphasizes the importance of using mathematical tools, such as graphs, to understand and solve complex problems in physics.