Ti 89, Solving multiple equations with complex numbers

In summary, the conversation is about solving multiple equations using the cSolve method on the TI 89 calculator. However, the person encounters an error message when trying to solve two equations with the given syntax. They ask for help and discover that the calculator cannot use "a" and "b" as algebraic variables.
Abide

Homework Statement

So, I know how to solve multiple equations using the cSolve method on the ti 89, but for some reason when I try to solve the following...

80a + 240b = 0 and (80+J79.975)a-80b = 50 by using the following syntax...

cSolve(80a + 240b = 0 and (80+J79.975)a-80b = 50 ,{a,b})

I get a message saying that there are too many arguements, what am I doing wrong?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone helpme with this? I am not having any luck at all, is this even possible?

When all else fails, try reading the instructions.

The proper complex number has a format of a + b*i, not a + b*J

I know that haha, as it turns out, in my calculator for some reason you cannot use a and b as algebraic variables, it works perfectly fine using any other variable XD

I would like to offer some suggestions on how to solve this problem on the Ti 89 calculator. First, make sure that you are using the correct syntax for the cSolve method. The correct syntax should be cSolve({80a + 240b = 0 , (80+J79.975)a-80b = 50} ,{a,b}). Notice that the equations are enclosed in curly braces and separated by a comma. Also, make sure that you are using the correct variables for the unknowns (a and b). Another possible issue could be the use of J instead of the letter i for complex numbers. Try replacing J with i in the equations and see if that solves the problem. If the issue persists, it could be due to a software or hardware malfunction. In that case, I would suggest seeking technical support from the manufacturer or consulting a user manual for troubleshooting.

What is a Ti 89 calculator?

A Ti 89 calculator is a graphing calculator manufactured by Texas Instruments. It is designed for advanced mathematical calculations and can handle complex numbers.

How do I solve multiple equations with a Ti 89 calculator?

To solve multiple equations with a Ti 89 calculator, you can use the built-in "Solve" function. Simply enter the equations and variables, and the calculator will solve for the unknown values.

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (defined as the square root of -1). Complex numbers are often used to represent quantities in mathematics and engineering.

Can the Ti 89 calculator handle complex numbers?

Yes, the Ti 89 calculator is capable of handling complex numbers. It has built-in functions for performing operations on complex numbers, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

Are there any limitations to solving multiple equations with complex numbers on a Ti 89 calculator?

While the Ti 89 calculator is a powerful tool for solving equations with complex numbers, it does have some limitations. It may not be able to find solutions for extremely complex or non-linear equations, and it may also have trouble with systems of equations with a large number of variables.