Tight binding method for a 1D crystal with a diatomic basis

In summary, we can apply Bloch's theorem to the given problem, where we have a 1D crystal with 2 atoms in a primitive cell and each atom having one valence orbital. The superposition provided in the problem can be written as a linear combination of basis states, which can then be rewritten as a product of a plane wave and a periodic function, satisfying Bloch's theorem.
adamoob
Hi, I'd be most grateful for any help regarding the following problem:

Consider a 1D crystal with 2 atoms in a primitive cell (let's call them atoms A and B). Each atom has only one valence orbital denoted as [itex]\left|\psi_A(n)\right>[/itex] and [itex]\left|\psi_B(n)\right>[/itex] respectively.

Show that the superposition
[itex]\left|k\right> = \sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}e^{ikna}\left[ c_A\left|\psi_A(n)\right> + c_B\left|\psi_B(n)\right>\right][/itex]
satisfies the Bloch's theorem ([itex]c_A, c_B[/itex] are constant)
------

I know that the theorem is usually formulated as follows:
There is a [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] from the reciprocal lattice for each wavefunction so that
[itex]\psi\left( \vec{r}+\vec{R}\right) = e^{i\vec{k}\vec{R}}\psi\left( \vec{r}\right)[/itex]
[itex]\vec{R}[/itex] is a vector from the direct lattice. But I still don't know what to do.

I am probably not very good with quantum mechanics yet (we had the solid state and QM simultaneously this semester) and I realize this may be very easy. But I have been stuck on this and will be grateful for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I am happy to help you with this problem. First, let's start by understanding Bloch's theorem. It states that the wavefunction of an electron in a periodic potential can be written as a product of a plane wave and a periodic function. In other words, the wavefunction has the form of e^{i\vec{k}\vec{r}}u(\vec{r}), where e^{i\vec{k}\vec{r}} is the plane wave and u(\vec{r}) is the periodic function.

Now, let's apply this to your problem. We have a 1D crystal with 2 atoms in a primitive cell, and each atom has one valence orbital. This means that the potential is periodic with a period of a, the lattice constant. We can write the wavefunction in the form of e^{i\vec{k}\vec{r}}u(\vec{r}), where e^{i\vec{k}\vec{r}} is the plane wave and u(\vec{r}) is the periodic function.

Next, we can use the superposition given in the problem to write the wavefunction as a linear combination of the basis states \left|\psi_A(n)\right> and \left|\psi_B(n)\right>. This is exactly what is given in the problem, where c_A and c_B are the coefficients of the linear combination. Now, we can rewrite this as:

\left|k\right> = \sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}e^{ikna}\left[ c_A\left|\psi_A(n)\right> + c_B\left|\psi_B(n)\right>\right] = \sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}e^{i\vec{k}\vec{r}}\left[ c_A\left|\psi_A(n)\right> + c_B\left|\psi_B(n)\right>\right]

We can see that the first term in the sum is the plane wave e^{i\vec{k}\vec{r}}, and the second term is the periodic function u(\vec{r}). This satisfies Bloch's theorem, with \vec{k} being the reciprocal lattice vector and u(\vec{r}) being the periodic function.

I hope this helps you understand how the given superposition satisfies Bloch's theorem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck

1. What is the Tight Binding Method?

The Tight Binding Method is a computational technique used in solid state physics to study the electronic properties of crystalline materials. It involves calculating the energy levels and wavefunctions of electrons in a crystal by considering the interactions between neighboring atoms.

2. How does the Tight Binding Method work?

The Tight Binding Method is based on the assumption that the electronic wavefunction in a crystal can be approximated by a linear combination of atomic wavefunctions. The total electronic energy of the crystal is then calculated by summing the contributions from each atomic wavefunction, taking into account the overlap and hopping integrals between neighboring atoms.

3. What is a 1D crystal with a diatomic basis?

A 1D crystal with a diatomic basis refers to a one-dimensional crystal structure composed of two types of atoms arranged in a repeating pattern. In this system, the tight binding method is used to calculate the electronic properties of the crystal, taking into account the interactions between the different types of atoms in the basis.

4. What are the limitations of the Tight Binding Method?

The Tight Binding Method is a simplified approach and does not take into account all the complexities of a real crystal. It assumes that the wavefunctions of electrons are localized around individual atoms, neglecting the effects of electron delocalization. It also does not consider the influence of external factors such as temperature and pressure.

5. What are some applications of the Tight Binding Method for 1D crystals with a diatomic basis?

The Tight Binding Method has been used in various studies of electronic properties of 1D crystals with diatomic bases, such as carbon nanotubes and semiconductor nanowires. It has also been applied to investigate the effects of defects and impurities on the electronic structure of these materials. Additionally, the method has been used in the design and optimization of novel electronic devices based on 1D crystals.