Time difference between 2 events in moving frame

In summary, the question asks for the time difference between two events that occur at the same time in an inertial frame S, separated by a distance of 1km along the x-axis. The time difference is measured in frame S', which is moving with constant velocity along the x-axis and measures the spatial separation between the events to be 2km. By using Lorentz transformation equations, we can find the time difference by first calculating the Lorentz factor, which is found to be 2. Then, we use the equation t'_2 - t'_1 = γ(-\frac{v}{c^2}(x_2-x_1)) to find the time difference, which is approximately -5.77x
Rococo

Homework Statement

Two events occur at the same time in inertial frame S and are separated by a distance of 1km along the x-axis. What is the time difference between these two events as measured in frame S' moving with constant velocity along x and in which their spatial separation is measured to be 2km?

Homework Equations

[itex]x'=γ(x-vt)[/itex]
[itex]t'=γ(t-\frac{vx}{c^2})[/itex]

[itex]x=γ(x'+vt')[/itex]
[itex]t=γ(t'+\frac{vx}{c^2})[/itex]

The question should be able to be solved using just Lorentz transformation equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Frame S:
Event 1: [itex](x_1, t_1)[/itex]
Event 2: [itex](x_2, t_2)[/itex]
[itex]t_2-t_1=0[/itex]
[itex]x_2-x_1=1000[/itex]

Frame S':
Event 1: [itex](x'_1, t'_1)[/itex]
Event 2: [itex](x'_2, t'_2)[/itex]
[itex]t_2-t_1=?[/itex]
[itex]x_2-x_1=2000[/itex]Now,

[itex]x'_2 - x'_1 = γ(x_2 - vt_2) -γ(x_1 - vt_1)[/itex]
[itex]2000 = γ[x_2 - x_1 -v(t_2-t_1)][/itex]
[itex]2000 = γ[1000 -0][/itex]
[itex]γ=2[/itex]

Using [itex]γ = \frac{1}{√1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/itex]

I get [itex]v = \frac{√3}{2}c[/itex]Now to find the time difference in the S' frame:

[itex]t'_2 - t'_1 = γ(t_2-\frac{vx_2}{c^2}) - γ(t_1-\frac{vx_1}{c^2}) [/itex]
[itex]t'_2 - t'_1 = γ(t_2-t_1-\frac{v}{c^2}(x_2-x_1))[/itex]
[itex]t'_2 - t'_1 = γ(-\frac{v}{c^2}(x_2-x_1))[/itex]

Putting in the values I get a time difference of -5.77x10^-6
It's negative so this can't be correct, so I like help on where I went wrong!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rococo said:
Now to find the time difference in the S' frame:

[itex]t'_2 - t'_1 = γ(t_2-\frac{vx_2}{c^2}) - γ(t_1-\frac{vx_1}{c^2}) [/itex]
[itex]t'_2 - t'_1 = γ(t_2-t_1-\frac{v}{c^2}(x_2-x_1))[/itex]
[itex]t'_2 - t'_1 = γ(-\frac{v}{c^2}(x_2-x_1))[/itex]
Putting in the values I get a time difference of -5.77x10^-6
It's negative so this can't be correct, so I like help on where I went wrong!
Your answer is correct. The sign is immaterial since we only know the absolute value of (x2 - x1)

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Your answer is correct. The sign is immaterial since we only know the absolute value of (x2 - x1)

AM

I see, thanks!

1. What is the concept of time difference between 2 events in a moving frame?

The concept refers to the difference in time measurements between two events that occur in a frame of reference that is moving relative to an observer. This difference is due to the effects of relativity, where time is relative to the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does the speed of the moving frame affect the time difference between 2 events?

The speed of the moving frame has a direct impact on the time difference between 2 events. As the speed increases, the time difference also increases due to the time dilation effect in special relativity.

3. Can time difference between 2 events in a moving frame be negative?

No, the time difference between 2 events in a moving frame cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as time is a fundamental quantity that cannot be negative.

4. What is the equation used to calculate the time difference between 2 events in a moving frame?

The equation used to calculate the time difference is t' = t/√(1-v²/c²), where t' is the time measured in the moving frame, t is the time measured in the observer's frame, v is the speed of the moving frame, and c is the speed of light.

5. How does the time difference between 2 events in a moving frame affect the perception of time for the observer?

The time difference between 2 events in a moving frame can affect the perception of time for the observer. Due to time dilation, the observer may perceive time to be passing slower in the moving frame compared to their own frame of reference. This effect is only significant at extremely high speeds, such as close to the speed of light.