Time dilation and the big bang

In summary: However, it would be incorrect to say that ground based telescopes are only useful for studying the atmosphere.
Tanelorn
When we talk about the BB occurring 13.8Billion years ago (see time chart below)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang#/media/File:History_of_the_Universe.svg

Does a 1ns of interval time at each of those points in time mean the same thing as a 1ns interval of time now, or is the measurement of time affected by time dilation / gravitational field effects as a result of the expansion of the Universe? For example events occurring at a black hole greatly slow down when we might look at them from earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilationOne tiny unrelated question, hope you don't mind: I wondered why we are still building these large ground based telescopes? I thought we were building the JWST to avoid atmospheric interference?
http://www.vox.com/2015/6/4/8728645/telescopes-chile-hawaii

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
1ns is 1ns, either then or now - it is the time taken by some physical process under the same conditions. Where time dilation comes into play is when we look at those past processes, and we seem them redshifted : a process taking 1ns at the CMB emission time is seen today as stretched out to about 1 microsecond, though this is usually translated into frequencies : a photon emitted then in radio frequency is seen now in the infrared.

Tanelorn said:
One tiny unrelated question, hope you don't mind: I wondered why we are still building these large ground based telescopes? I thought we were building the JWST to avoid atmospheric interference?

Just a comment on your separate question, Tanelorn. That's a nice graphic in the article you pointed to:
http://www.vox.com/2015/6/4/8728645/telescopes-chile-hawaii.
It shows the HST and the future James Webb space telescope in the lower lefthand corner, to give an idea of their scale compared with some ground-based telescopes. The article explains why large mirror size (much easier to achieve on the ground than in space) is important. There is a lot to study in the sky, different instruments are suited to different purposes. Ground-based telescopes get intensively used. It's exciting to see new even larger ones getting funded and constructed.
telescopes.png

Last edited:
Likes Tanelorn and wabbit
Pretty cool chart! One thing to mention @Tanelorn since you mentionned atmospheric interference, is that many (or most) large ground-based telescopes, in addition to being located in high altitude dry climates, use sophisticated active optics to correct for atmospheric distortion in real time - this does not cancel out all atmospheric effects, but it does make them competitive with space based instruments for many tasks.

Likes Tanelorn
Thanks for replies guys.

Yes Marcus, I was also very impressed by the graphic in that article and thought everyone here might like it.
I am sure there is a reason why they need to put the JWST in orbit, something which ground based cannot do well, but I am just not sure what it is now.Back to the original question, does the time dilation effect where we might observe a 1ns event taking as long as say 1us, change the how long the initial events of the BB really take and how old we estimate the Universe to be? Or are the numbers in the time graphic already corrected to include this effect?

In other words, when we put time numbers on events do always talk about how long they actually took, and not how long they were observed here on Earth to take?

Last edited:
Bear in mind the JWST is designed for infrared astronomy which is very difficult on earth.

Last edited:
Tanelorn said:
One tiny unrelated question, hope you don't mind: I wondered why we are still building these large ground based telescopes? I thought we were building the JWST to avoid atmospheric interference?

Recent developments in adaptive optics have made ground based telescopes more viable as they can cancel to some of the atmospheric noise.

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object or observer moving at high speeds relative to another object or observer. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity.

What is the theory of the Big Bang?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling over the past 13.8 billion years.

How does time dilation relate to the Big Bang?

Time dilation is related to the Big Bang through the theory of relativity. As the universe expands and cools, time appears to pass slower for objects and observers located in regions with strong gravitational fields, such as near black holes or in the early universe.

Can we observe time dilation in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life, although the effects are very small. For example, GPS satellites orbiting Earth experience time dilation due to their high speeds, and this must be accounted for in order for GPS devices to function accurately.

What evidence supports the Big Bang theory?

There are several lines of evidence that support the Big Bang theory, including the observed expansion of the universe, the abundance of light elements, and the cosmic microwave background radiation. These pieces of evidence provide strong support for the idea that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since.