Time Dilation: Lorentz Transf. & Proper Time Equations

In summary, the Lorentz transformation affects how time is perceived by observers moving with respect to each other. Proper time is the time measured by a clock moving with the frame of reference, and will always be the longest. However, when measured by a moving observer, the proper time will be less than the proper time that the stationary observer is reading by a factor of [1 – (v/c)^2]. This last equation makes sense, but is confusing because it sounds like the moving observer's time would be "dilated".
Dyatlov
Hello!
Got a bit of an issue with thew two above mentioned equations about time.
From the Lorentz transformation t' = [t - (vx)/c^2]/lorentz factor, we get that the time read by a moving observer for an event in the stationary observer's frame of reference will always be slower (longer) because the denominator will always make the nominator grow when v < c.
Here comes proper time: t’^2- x’^2 = t^2 – x^2. From the moving observer frame of reference (x' = 0) we will get: t’^2= t^2 – x^2; t’^2 = t^2 – (vt)^2;t ’^2= t^2[1 – (v/c)^2]. Here comes the confusing part. This last equation reads that the proper time read by the moving observer for an event in the stationary frame, will be less than the proper time that the stationary observer is reading by a factor of [1 – (v/c)^2]. How can it be less? I thought no matter what frame of reference you relate to, you will always see another observer with dilated time.
Am I mixing things? Proper time is the time measured by a clock moving with the frame of reference, so by definition this time should always be the longest, which would mean the last equation makes sense.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dyatlov said:
Hello!
Got a bit of an issue with thew two above mentioned equations about time.
From the Lorentz transformation t' = [t - (vx)/c^2]/lorentz factor, we get that the time read by a moving observer for an event in the stationary observer's frame of reference will always be slower (longer) because the denominator will always make the nominator grow when v < c.
Can you elaborate how you're reaching your conclusion? If you use x=vt, don't you get the same result as the one you found below?

Here comes proper time: t’^2- x’^2 = t^2 – x^2. From the moving observer frame of reference (x' = 0) we will get: t’^2= t^2 – x^2; t’^2 = t^2 – (vt)^2;t ’^2= t^2[1 – (v/c)^2]. Here comes the confusing part. This last equation reads that the proper time read by the moving observer for an event in the stationary frame, will be less than the proper time that the stationary observer is reading by a factor of [1 – (v/c)^2]. How can it be less? I thought no matter what frame of reference you relate to, you will always see another observer with dilated time.
If the moving clock reads less, doesn't that mean it's running slower—that is, it's dilated?

Am I mixing things? Proper time is the time measured by a clock moving with the frame of reference, so by definition this time should always be the longest, which would mean the last equation makes sense.
Thanks in advance.

vela said:
If the moving clock reads less, doesn't that mean it's running slower—that is, it's dilated?
And dilation means "getting bigger", so it's a very misleading term indeed.

Yes, that was where my confusion was coming from. Thanks.

Dyatlov said:
Yes, that was where my confusion was coming from. Thanks.
As a fellow learner I would advise sticking rigidly to the spacetime interval and diagrams (which you seem OK with). It's the simplest, most direct approach to SR. Then you can just let your eyes glaze over and pretend not to understand (like I do) when folks go off an a tangent talking about "shrinking" rods and trains with their ends measured at different times, or time intervals between two different places ;)

Likes vanhees71 and Dyatlov

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for observers in different frames of reference. This is due to the effects of relative motion and gravity on the passage of time.

2. How is time dilation related to the Lorentz transformation equations?

The Lorentz transformation equations are a set of mathematical equations that describe how time, space, and other physical quantities appear to change for observers in different frames of reference. Time dilation is one of the effects predicted by these equations.

3. What is the proper time equation?

The proper time equation is a formula that calculates the amount of time that passes for an object or observer in a frame of reference that is at rest. This is the time that is experienced by the object or observer itself, as opposed to the time that is measured by an observer in a different frame of reference.

4. How does time dilation affect our daily lives?

Time dilation is a very small effect that is only noticeable at extremely high speeds or in the presence of very strong gravitational fields. As such, it does not have a significant impact on our daily lives. However, it is crucial to understand for applications such as GPS technology and space travel.

5. Can time dilation be reversed?

No, time dilation cannot be reversed. It is a fundamental aspect of the laws of physics and is always present in situations involving relative motion or gravity. However, the effects of time dilation can be minimized by slowing down or stopping the relative motion between frames of reference, or by reducing the strength of the gravitational field.