Time it takes for a water tank to empty

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a cylindrical tank with a small hole draining slowly at the bottom. The goal is to find an expression for the time it takes to drain the tank completely. The conversation suggests using Bernoulli's equation and the equation for volume rate of flow for time, but there are some errors and typos that need to be corrected. The conversation also discusses using different variables for the depth of water and time, and finding an expression for the rate of change of the depth.
Flipmeister

Homework Statement

A cylindrical tank of diameter 2R contains water to a depth d. A small hole of diameter 2r is opened in the bottom of the tank. r<<R, so the tank drains slowly. Find an expression for the time it takes to drain the tank completely.

Homework Equations

[tex]p_1+\frac{1}{2}ρv_1^2+ρgh_1=p_2+\frac{1}{2}ρv_2^2+ρgh_2\\
Q=vA=\frac{\delta V}{\delta t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe, since ##p_1## and ##p_2## are the same, that Bernoulli's equation becomes ##2\rho gd=v_2^2##. I am assuming I need to use the equation of volume rate of flow for time, but then I would need the velocity ##v_2##. But how do I solve for time from that? How am I to find Q?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Hmm, you have a factor of 2 in the third term on the left of Bernoulli's equation. Check to make sure that's right.

It would help if you told us where you're picking points 1 and 2.

What is the justification for cancelling the terms that involve h1 and h2?

Whoooops I should have reread my post. Typos everywhere. I've edited now; thanks for pointing them out.

OK, so I presume point 2 is at the little hole at the bottom and that you made the approximation ##v_1≈0##. Still looks like a little error (or typo) in your expression for ##v_2^2##. Can you find it?

Ah the ##\rho ## should have canceled out there as well. So now that I know what the velocity is, can I then use ##vA=\frac {\Delta V}{\Delta t}?

Flipmeister said:
I believe, since ##p_1## and ##p_2## are the same, that Bernoulli's equation becomes ##2\rho gd=v_2^2##.
Not quite. Check that again.
If ##v_2## is the linear flow rate out of the hole, what is the volume flow rate? What does that then tell you about how fast the depth in the tank changes?

Flipmeister said:
Ah the ##\rho ## should have canceled out there as well. So now that I know what the velocity is, can I then use ##vA=\frac {\Delta V}{\Delta t}##?

Yes, Can you express the volume in terms of the depth ##d##? Instead of using finite differences Δ, you will want to use instantaneous rates of change (you're heading towards a differential equation). It might be better to let the depth of the water be denoted by ##y## or ##h## instead of ##d## in case you need to express the rate of change of the depth as a derivative.

Last edited:
Alright, so if I have ##vA=\frac{dV}{dt}=A\frac{dy}{dt}##, then plug in y from ##v=\sqrt{2gy}## it looks like ##\frac{dV}{dt}=A\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{v^2}{2g})## which I believe gives me...
$$Q=\frac{dV}{dt}=\frac{Av}{g}$$

Can I say that Volume(final) = Volume(initial) + QΔt and solve for Δt? Or is it more complicated than this...

Stick with ##y## as the dependent variable and ##t## as the independent variable. Can you find an expression for the rate of change of ##y##?

Flipmeister said:
Alright, so if I have ##vA=\frac{dV}{dt}=A\frac{dy}{dt}##

Careful here. Are the two areas ##A## the same in this equation?

1. How is the time it takes for a water tank to empty calculated?

The time it takes for a water tank to empty is calculated by dividing the volume of water in the tank by the flow rate of the outlet. This will give you the total time in seconds that it will take for the tank to empty.

2. What factors can affect the time it takes for a water tank to empty?

Several factors can affect the time it takes for a water tank to empty, including the size and shape of the tank, the flow rate of the outlet, the height of the outlet from the bottom of the tank, and any obstructions or restrictions in the outlet or plumbing system.

3. Can the time it takes for a water tank to empty be shortened?

Yes, the time it takes for a water tank to empty can be shortened by increasing the flow rate of the outlet or by lowering the height of the outlet from the bottom of the tank. However, this may also lead to a loss of pressure in the plumbing system.

4. Can the time it takes for a water tank to empty be extended?

Yes, the time it takes for a water tank to empty can be extended by decreasing the flow rate of the outlet or by raising the height of the outlet from the bottom of the tank. This will result in a slower emptying of the tank, providing more time for the water to be used or refilled.

5. Is the time it takes for a water tank to empty affected by the type of liquid being stored?

Yes, the time it takes for a water tank to empty may be affected by the type of liquid being stored. Thicker or more viscous liquids may take longer to flow through the outlet, while lighter liquids may empty more quickly. This should be taken into consideration when calculating the time it will take for a tank to empty.