1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time it takes to fill a pool.

1. Nov 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

To fill a child's inflatable wading pool you use a garden hose with a diameter of 2.8 cm. Water flows from this hose with a speed of 1.1 m/s. How long will it take to fill the pool to a depth of 32 cm if it is circular and has a diameter of 2.7 m?

2. Relevant equations
    delta m=p1 A1 v1 delta t
    (p=density, A=area, v=velocity, t=time)

A1 v1=A2 v2

Q=A v

idk if there is another equation that deals with time, i can't find any.

3. The attempt at a solution
    since everything is dealing with water, i didn't really consider density.

the amount of water needed:
    V= pi r^2 h=pi (1.35)^2 (.32)= 1.83 m^3

the area of the hose is:
    A= pi r^2= pi (.014)^2= 6.16e-4 m^2

Q=A v=6.16e-4 (1.1)=6.78e-4 m^3/s

mass flow rate= .6776 kg/s

i don't really know where to go from here...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2008 #2
    first, your volume of pool measurement is a little wrong. You've used the diameter as a radius in your equqtion.
    You've also made the sam mistake in calculating the cross sectional area of the hose.
    delta m over delta t will give you your mass flow rate. But you need your volumetric flow rate. so how do you turn mass in a volume (hint: pensity is required)

keep trying and le tme know.

4. Nov 27, 2008 #3
    my typing is terrible this morning, sorry for the spelling mistakes. going to get some more coffee :smile:

5. Nov 27, 2008 #4
    i fixed the problems and hopefully they are right. i found the mass flow rate and also the volumetric flow rate. we haven't learned about pensity in our class yet...so there has to be a different way.

6. Nov 27, 2008 #5
    i figured it out. thanks :)

7. Nov 27, 2008 #6
    pensity was a spelling mistake for density, sorry. Glad you got it, no prob.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?