Time needed for a point on a wave to move between two transverse displacements

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time it takes for a given point on a string to move between displacements of 2mm and -2mm, given the wave equation y(x,t) = 5mm sin(kx + (600rad/s)t + φ). The solution involves using the same kx and φ values, and calculating the difference in time using the equation 600(t1-t2) = 0.8, resulting in a time of 1.3ms. The conversation also briefly mentions a potential issue with using different calculator modes and discrepancies between versions.
aub

Homework Statement

If a wave y(x,t) = 5mm sin(kx + (600rad/s)t + φ) travels along a string, how much time does any given point on the string take to move between displacements y = 2mm and y = -2mm

The Attempt at a Solution

we have
1. 2=5sin(kx + 600t1 + φ)
sin(kx + 600t + φ)=0.4
kx + 600t + φ = 0.4 (=0.4 or =23.5 because I am not sure which mode to use on the calculator, degrees or radians)
2. -2=5sin(kx + 600t2 + φ)
sin(kx + 600t + φ)=-0.4
kx + 600t + φ = -0.4 (=-0.4 or =-23.5 same reason)

Since its the same point moving up and down, we have the same kx and φ (ill use the 0.4 since both ways my answer is wrong)

0.4 - 600t1 = -0.4 - 600t2
600(t1-t2) = 0.8
Δt = 1.3 * 10-3s = 1.3ms

the answer is 1.1ms and its supposed to be one of the easiest problems because its the first problem of the chapter but i just can't do it and please tell me more about the calculator modes issue i talked about

Physics news on Phys.org
my answer my be right because i just found out that there are many changes in newer and older versions and that the book has apparently used other close values (like in many other exercices) so it may be that

is what I am doing right?

1. How is the time needed for a point on a wave to move between two transverse displacements calculated?

The time needed for a point on a wave to move between two transverse displacements is calculated by dividing the distance between the two displacements by the wave's speed. This can be represented by the equation: time = distance/speed.

2. What factors affect the time needed for a point on a wave to move between two transverse displacements?

The time needed for a point on a wave to move between two transverse displacements can be affected by the wave's speed, frequency, and wavelength. Additionally, the medium through which the wave is traveling can also play a role in the time needed.

3. How does the amplitude of a wave affect the time needed for a point to move between two transverse displacements?

The amplitude of a wave does not directly affect the time needed for a point to move between two transverse displacements. However, a larger amplitude may result in a longer wavelength, which can ultimately affect the time needed.

4. Can the time needed for a point on a wave to move between two transverse displacements be changed?

The time needed for a point on a wave to move between two transverse displacements is a constant value that is determined by the wave's speed and the distance between the two displacements. It cannot be changed unless one of these factors is altered.

5. How is the concept of time needed for a point on a wave to move between two transverse displacements applied in real life?

This concept is applied in various fields such as telecommunications, seismology, and sound engineering. In telecommunications, the time needed for a signal to move between two points is crucial in determining the quality and speed of communication. In seismology, the time taken for a seismic wave to travel between two points can provide important information about the properties of the Earth's interior. In sound engineering, understanding the time needed for sound waves to travel between two points is crucial in creating high-quality audio systems.