1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time period of oscillation

1. Apr 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small plate of mass m is suspended by a light string of length l .A monochromatic light beam starts falling on it and is completely absorbed. If the energy falling on the plate per unit time is W, then find the time period of oscillation?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I feel the light falling on the disk exerts some force on the disk .If it is a constant force then the equilibrium position is shifted.

But I am unable to relate the energy falling on the plate with the force it exerts.

I would be grateful if someone could help me with the problem.

Attached Files:

• shm.GIF
      shm.GIF
      File size:
      2.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2014 #2
    Suppose ##n## photons strike the plate per second. Can you work out the change in momentum of these photons and the force acting on the plate?

Do you know of a relation between energy and number of photons?

You should be able to work out the force acting due to photons with the two equations you get.

4. Apr 17, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you have found the average force the light exerts, find the equilibrium position of the plate in terms of W and mg, then the net force on the plate when it is displaced from that equilibrium position.

ehild

5. Apr 17, 2014 #4
    Thank you Pranav...

Thanks ehild...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted