Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Today I learned

1. Dec 18, 2017 #2321

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good choices all.

I'm thinking along a theme Reflections on erreurs du couer, to effect "I'll never get into heaven all my Mother-In-Law's are there".

old jim

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  2. Dec 18, 2017 #2322
    Well, I kind of failed real analysis, and I got a C- in complex analysis, so... my grades just aren't high enough to get in, honestly. And I hated both of those classes. I got an A in physics though. I might try to go for statistics or do a minor in physics or something. I like math, but the math major is just making me miserable.

3. Dec 20, 2017 #2323
    Ah, I see. I'm at my limits of what I can advise, perhaps someone else cares to chime in?

4. Dec 26, 2017 #2324
    Anders Celsius. Can you guess what I learned by the name? :biggrin:

I also learned
    But hey, I don't blame him. My logic would have told me same. I would have hypotethized: "I think the rise is due to evaporation... But how can I experiment and test?" Logic can be wrong.

5. Dec 28, 2017 #2325
    Today I unfortunately learned how hot a soldering iron truly is. On the bright side I now know how to use a soldering iron and the importance of always wearing protection.

6. Dec 30, 2017 #2326

Lisa!

Gold Member

TIL some stuff about Handicrafts!
    cce3353c-b1fb-407d-88a2-430befbfaabf.jpg

7. Dec 30, 2017 #2327

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

LOL. When I was about 10 years old, I was learning how to solder using a Weller Soldering Gun, and I wondered to myself whether the shiny rods that hold the tip were hot. Yep, they were!!! o0)

http://www.stevenjohnson.com/soldering/pics/weller-8200n.jpg
    weller-8200n.jpg

8. Dec 31, 2017 #2328

berkeman

Today I learned two things about dribbling my new basketball down the hall at work (do not ask me why I am at work on a Holiday weekend, and don't ask why I'm dribbling down the hall please...)

We have a nice thin springy carpet at my work, and surprisingly, the basketball rebounds up about 20% higher than it does on hard asphalt or concrete. I did not expect that!

And it turns out dribbling a basketball down the hall on this type of carpet generates a huge amount of static electric buildup on the ball (and me, unfortunately). When I grabbed the doorknob to dribble out into the lobby, KABLAM!!! (must have been close to a 30kV shock!) o0)

9. Dec 31, 2017 #2329

Ibix

Science Advisor

https://m.xkcd.com/242/

10. Dec 31, 2017 #2330

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Great one.
    This might belong in "Random Thoughts" , but following @Ibix's lead
    http://www.cvaieee.org/html/humor/marry_not_an_engineer.html

Fair Anne puts up with me though.

old jim

11. Dec 31, 2017 #2331

berkeman

:smile:

12. Dec 31, 2017 #2332
  13. Dec 31, 2017 #2333

fresh_42

2017 Award

You're far too focused on it. Be careful, it's a high risk, very volatile investment and other forms already entered the stage.

14. Dec 31, 2017 #2334
    Yeah, I agree. That boat has sailed already.

15. Jan 5, 2018 #2335
    One can have a bigger foot than the other.

I started measuring my feet and noticed that one measurement was larger than the other and I was like: "This cannot be, I must be doing something wrong." Although the difference wasn't much.

I spent half an hour measuring my feet again and again until someone told me that people can have one foot bigger than the other. :DD

That moment when you think you are doing something wrong, but you are not.

16. Jan 6, 2018 #2336
    TIL (through experimentation and observation) that no matter how long you spend working on an essay, you can never determine how it's going to be received.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted