Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tom DeLay: Indicted on conspiracy charges

1. Sep 28, 2005 #1
    [SOLVED] Tom DeLay: Indicted on conspiracy charges

New York Times, 9/28

Who's surprised? :tongue2:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2005 #2

Gold Member

I was about to post this in the Republican Lies thread. :smile: I'm not surprised he is guilty, but I am surprised he has been indicted. Perhaps there is hope...
  4. Sep 28, 2005 #3
    Woo hoo! I did a rooster crow when I saw that on Google news and my five year old was so surprised - I haven't whooped at the news ever, in her memory.
  5. Sep 28, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yet another criminal Republican. I'm not surprised.
  6. Sep 28, 2005 #5
    Well, he IS innocent until proven guilty.
    However, I FEEL he is a dirty rotten scoundrel
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  7. Sep 28, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So was Nixon and a gazillion of others from that crime factory.
  8. Sep 28, 2005 #7
    My favorite quote from Kevin Madden (Delay's Spokesman)

Who is "they"? Must be the Democrat and Liberal trash that plaque us all :rofl:

I wish he would elaborate on this "agenda" of theirs.
  9. Sep 28, 2005 #8
    Right, we know he's a dirty rotten scoundrel, and it's great to see the indictment...but will there be a conviction?
  10. Sep 28, 2005 #9
    Delay is now qualified for the Freedom medal. :smile:
  11. Sep 28, 2005 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hopefully, it will be shown that he fulfills the criteria of the three-strikes-rule..
  12. Sep 28, 2005 #11
    "The criminal indictment of Majority Leader Tom Delay is the latest example that Republicans in Congress are plagued by a culture of corruption at the expense of the American people."

-Nancy Pelosi

13. Sep 28, 2005 #12
    What's funny is DeLay has been smacked down a couple of times for ethics violations and now suddenly it's a conspiracy against him. There are a bunch of people in Washington with the crimal "Not my fault" mentality these days.

This is funny---the truth hurts some times: http://www.mikehersh.com/Tom_DeLays_Ethics_Violations.shtml
  14. Sep 28, 2005 #13
    Isn't there a get out of jail free loophole for Legislators "while performing the duties of their office" or is that just a State thing?
  15. Sep 28, 2005 #14

That has nothing to do with the current fiasco. DeLay founded nd ran a PAC which took donations from corporations in violation of Texas law. DeLay is begin charged with conspiracy in connection to trying to hide these deals from not for passing a law that resulted in a death or injury. The charges are not connected to the office, they are connected to the man.

Also, it's all the democrats fault: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64194-2005Apr18.html
  16. Sep 28, 2005 #15
    According to one of the links I was reading in the thread about Republican lies, there has been an unspoken agreement between the two parties not to pursue investigations. I believe this is a result of grass root petitions, letters, etc. either by constituents and/or private organizations. When the checks and balances of the governmental system fails, it is up to the people to demand corrections, and perhaps they are.
  17. Sep 28, 2005 #16
    I love how Delay's lawyers love to put the blame on an "overzealous prosecutor," but they ignore the fact that the grand jury also decided to indict him.

If he is convicted, you know that he'll be pardoned anyway.
  18. Sep 28, 2005 #17
    That is so...criminal like.
  19. Sep 28, 2005 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I lilke how they are accusing the DA of partisanship. In fact he has prosecuted more Democrats than Republicans; which is no small challenge in Texas.

I was sleeping and could hear the TV, and it was the first thing that I heard today. It's the first time that I've woke up smiling in a long time.

Finally, finally, finally...
  20. Sep 28, 2005 #19
    Man I would love to watch him get goose-stepped all the way to the gulag; however, I too expect a Bush pardon following an unfavorable verdict.
  21. Sep 28, 2005 #20

Staff: Mentor

Happy to see him go - he can take Frist with him.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?