How Can Experiments on Photons Advance Our Understanding of String Theory?

In summary, the conversation centered around a high school student's search for an interesting topic for their 4000-word physics essay. Suggestions were made to focus on the dual nature of light and potential experiments to demonstrate this concept. The student was also encouraged to explore cutting edge topics such as gravity waves and the detection of other dimensions.
madoxx
hey guys,
As part of my high-school diploma i have to write a 4000-word essay about practically any topic, but i chose to do one in physics. ;)
I've already done a bit of research trying to look at what topics might be interesting and possible to do EXPERIMENTS for. I was looking at doing something about the interference properties of light and doing the double-slit experiment but i thought that would be too simple and i wouldn't be able to fill 4000 words.
I've looked at my textbooks and quite a bit on the internet to try and determine a topic, but haven't had much luck yet.
I was hoping you guys could help me come up with an interesting topic i could research and possibly do an experiment for.
Thanks a lot guys!:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe expand on your light idea some, and come up with a 2nd experiment that demonstrates the particle properties of light. That way you will have the double-slit experiment (and cool pictures) to talk about the wave properties of light, and a 2nd experiment demonstrating the particle properties of light. Then in the essay, you can talk about the duality of the wave/particle nature of light (and many other things), and how non-intuitive and yet provable this duality is. Have at it!

thanks for the reply. i will do some research on this topic and hopefully get a better understanding before finally choosing my topic question.

Tagging onto berkeman's suggestion:

the two-slit experiment, when done one photon at a time, reveals an amazing property of light: even when a single photon passes through one of the double-slits, it will land on the detector screen only on the bright fringe areas of the diffration pattern, even when there is nothing to interfere with.

This opens up a whole can of worms that will easily fill 4000 words.

None of the people who did science essays in my school did very well on their extended essay. I decided to do salt and the origins of civilization.

You could do a lot of things, but I think one requirement is that the topic has to be cutting edge and relevant. Which still means you can do all sorts of things. One cool thing going on sort of similar to interference is the project to detect gravity waves in deep space because the thought of how other dimensions could be detected this way. It's a string theory related thing.

Anyway, there is a lot to do with photons/gravitons/neutrinos, and you're going to have to find something pretty specific.

Related to How Can Experiments on Photons Advance Our Understanding of String Theory?

1. What is the purpose of writing a 4000 word essay on a specific topic?

The purpose of writing a 4000 word essay on a specific topic is to thoroughly explore and analyze a complex issue or idea. It allows for in-depth research and critical thinking, as well as the ability to present a well-supported argument or perspective on the topic.

2. How long does it take to write a 4000 word essay?

The time it takes to write a 4000 word essay can vary depending on the individual's writing speed and the amount of research and preparation required. On average, it can take anywhere from 10-20 hours to write a well-crafted 4000 word essay.

3. What is the recommended structure for a 4000 word essay?

The recommended structure for a 4000 word essay typically includes an introduction, several body paragraphs to support the main argument, and a conclusion. It is also important to include a thesis statement, evidence to support your argument, and a clear and logical flow of ideas throughout the essay.

4. How many sources should I include in a 4000 word essay?

The number of sources to include in a 4000 word essay can vary depending on the topic and the depth of research required. However, it is generally recommended to include at least 8-10 reputable sources to support your argument and demonstrate a thorough understanding of the topic.

5. How important is proper citation in a 4000 word essay?

Proper citation is extremely important in a 4000 word essay as it not only gives credit to the original sources used, but also strengthens the credibility and validity of your argument. Failure to properly cite sources can result in plagiarism, which is a serious academic offense.