Topological Basis Homework: If-Then Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and properties of a basis for a topological space. A collection of subsets, β, is a basis for a topological space (χ,τ) if and only if it satisfies two conditions: 1) β is a subset of τ, and 2) for each set U in τ and point p in U, there exists a set V in β such that p is in V and V is a subset of U. The relevant definitions state that a basis for a topology is a collection of subsets that can form any open set in the topology when taken as unions. The proof for the if and only if statement is provided, with a summary of the logic for each direction.
Numberphile

Homework Statement

Let (χ,τ) be a topological space and β be a collection of subsets of χ. Then β is a basis for τ if and only if:
1. β ⊂ τ
2. for each set U in τ and point p in U there is a set V in β such that p ∈ V ⊂ U.

2. Relevant definitions

Let τ be a topology on a set χ and let β ⊂ τ. Then β is a basis for the topology τ if and only if every open set in τ is the union of elements of β.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm proving the if and only if. So for one direction, I have the following:
Suppose β ⊂ τ and for each set U in τ and point p in U, there is a set, call it Vp in β such that p ∈ Vp ⊂ U.
Consider the union ∪ Vp. Every point p in U is also in the union ∪ Vp. So it follows that U ⊂ ∪ Vp.
Notice every point p in the union ∪ Vp is also in U. So it follows that ∪ Vp ⊂ U.
This shows U = ∪ Vp, hence U is a union of elements of β, and therefore β is a basis.

For the other direction, this is what I attempted, but I am not sure the logic follows:
Suppose β is a basis. Then every open set U in τ is the union of elements of β, call them Bi for i in some index. So U = ∪ Bi, with all Bi open.
I'm thinking this follows from the definition that all such collections of {Bi} ⊂ τ, which implies that β ⊂ τ. (satisfying point 1)
Now Suppose there is some point p in U. Then it follows that p is in at least one such Bi, call it V. Therefore there exists a set V in β such that p ∈ V ⊂ U, satisfying point 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Numberphile said:

Homework Statement

Let (χ,τ) be a topological space and β be a collection of subsets of χ. Then β is a basis for τ if and only if:
1. β ⊂ τ
2. for each set U in τ and point p in U there is a set V in β such that p ∈ V ⊂ U.

2. Relevant definitions

Let τ be a topology on a set χ and let β ⊂ τ. Then β is a basis for the topology τ if and only if every open set in τ is the union of elements of β.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm proving the if and only if. So for one direction, I have the following:
Suppose β ⊂ τ and for each set U in τ and point p in U, there is a set, call it Vp in β such that p ∈ Vp ⊂ U.
Consider the union ∪ Vp. Every point p in U is also in the union ∪ Vp. So it follows that U ⊂ ∪ Vp.
Notice every point p in the union ∪ Vp is also in U. So it follows that ∪ Vp ⊂ U.
This shows U = ∪ Vp, hence U is a union of elements of β, and therefore β is a basis.

For the other direction, this is what I attempted, but I am not sure the logic follows:
Suppose β is a basis. Then every open set U in τ is the union of elements of β, call them Bi for i in some index. So U = ∪ Bi, with all Bi open.
I'm thinking this follows from the definition that all such collections of {Bi} ⊂ τ, which implies that β ⊂ τ. (satisfying point 1)
Now Suppose there is some point p in U. Then it follows that p is in at least one such Bi, call it V. Therefore there exists a set V in β such that p ∈ V ⊂ U, satisfying point 2.

That sounds good to me. I'm a little fuzzy on what you are saying about condition 1. But note both sides of your 'if and only if' state that ##\beta \subset \tau## - so there is not much to prove there.

1. What is a topological basis?

A topological basis is a collection of open sets that can be used to describe the topology of a space. These sets must satisfy certain conditions, such as being non-empty and covering the entire space.

2. What are "if-then" conditions in topological basis homework?

"If-then" conditions are statements that describe how elements in a topological basis are related to each other. For example, if set A is a subset of set B, then set B must contain all the elements of set A. These conditions are important in proving the properties of a topological basis.

3. How are "if-then" conditions used in topological basis homework?

In topological basis homework, "if-then" conditions are used to prove that a given collection of open sets forms a valid topological basis. By checking if the conditions are satisfied, one can show that the sets cover the entire space and have other necessary properties.

4. What happens if the "if-then" conditions are not met in a topological basis?

If the "if-then" conditions are not met, then the collection of sets is not a valid topological basis. This means that the space cannot be described using these sets, as they do not satisfy the necessary conditions. It also means that the properties of a topological basis cannot be proven using these sets.

5. Can "if-then" conditions be used in other areas of science?

Yes, "if-then" conditions are commonly used in many areas of science, including mathematics, computer science, and physics. They are used to describe relationships between different variables or elements and can help in making predictions or proving properties.